Help troubleshooting Yamaha B-2 poweramp

Did you try the NS-1000M's with the Sony?

No, the Sony is still in transit, so it makes the temptation easier to deal with, but I do hope to find a pair of speakers that could work really well with it. You don't think the NS-1000M would be to hard for the Sony to drive properly?

I don't think so, but they'll probably sing better with some more oomph than the 35wpc the Sony can provide.

As I mentioned in the PM I think the Sony is to small with it's 35W, it puts the tweeters in danger if you push the amp too much (not to say the amp). The NS-1000M is rated for 50W with a max input of 100W, the woofers will suck the power supply as dry as it gets and leave the tweeters gasping for air with the distorted leftovers.

It was more to hear about you're smile when you hooked up the B-2 intead.

As I mentioned in the PM I think the Sony is to small with it's 35W, it puts the tweeters in danger if you push the amp too much (not to say the amp). The NS-1000M is rated for 50W with a max input of 100W, the woofers will suck the power supply as dry as it gets and leave the tweeters gasping for air with the distorted leftovers.

It was more to hear about you're smile when you hooked up the B-2 intead.

I did smile when I did it! The B-2/NS1000 is one amazing combo :yes: :music:

Next natural upgrade will have to be either a B-1 or NS-2000's :D heheh

Hi, what is the correct dc-offset voltage in Yamaha B-2? In my one there was "-40" mV in the left channel and "-3" mV in right. I've set the right to -40. Was it good? Why it is in minus? regards

Thanks Echo, could you tell me what bias is the best for this amp? In manual it is stated 40mV, and now I have set this voltage. But someone upper wrote that amp sound better at a range of 60-70mV. But when I increase it to the 65mV radiators are much hotter. Is it good for the amp, or may cause some damages? Im from poland, my english isn't perfect, sorry.

Thanks Echo, could you tell me what bias is the best for this amp? In manual it is stated 40mV, and now I have set this voltage. But someone upper wrote that amp sound better at a range of 60-70mV. But when I increase it to the 65mV radiators are much hotter. Is it good for the amp, or may cause some damages? Im from poland, my english isn't perfect, sorry.

I have mine set for 60mV and yes it does run warmer as you would expect. To my ears it sounds warmer too. When I first got mine, I measured the bias and offset. They were way higher than the 40 mV stated in the SM so I reset both to SM settings and enjoyed it that way for several months until I was ready to do a recap. After recapping and a few other changes I decided to up the bias to the higher setting and to my ears it does sound better set there. Like you, I'm not entirely comfortable with the extra heat trade off, especially during the hot and humid summer months here but so far all is fine and some days my B-2 is on from 12 to 14 hours.So far it's been about 6 months since the recap and I'm planning to pop the cover real soon and see how things look in there. Hopefully there's no surprises. :thmbsp:

The heat sinks on the B-2 are massive, and do a nice job. As far as the bias reading, I usually set it to about 50~60mV and leave it there.

Hello!
Can anyone help me?
At the power supply of +/- 85V on the negative rail I have -60V and I can't adjust the pot in any way.
Where is the problem, what components could cause this defect?
Thanks

Attachments

• b2 ps.jpg
    b2 ps.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello!
Can anyone help me?
At the power supply of +/- 85V on the negative rail I have -60V and I can't adjust the pot in any way.
Where is the problem, what components could cause this defect?
Thanks
Welcome to this forum. at the risk of sounding like a broken record:
hotzman said:
Hello!
I can't adjust the bias and DC offset on my Yamaha B2 amplifier.
I have a problem with the +/- 85v power supply. On the negative rail I measure -60V and I can't adjust the voltage from the trimpot in any way.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Thank you!

Rottalpha said:
yes, the advise is to shut the power off and say a prayer or two that the vfets are still OK.
  1. make sure the unit is unplugged, bulk caps are fully discharged.
  2. test the vfets individually without mixing them.
  3. If the vfets are still OK, look for someone to rebuild that unit. After ~45 years of service it should not be operated without proper restoration.

Back
Top Bottom