Help!-trying to register at Vinyl Engine to no avail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma Cat

I have been trying to register at Vinyl Engine for weeks now...

I originally registered with my username and email address, the usual drill, and was told I would receive an "activation" email so that I could log-in, etc., just like many web sites....unfortunately, I never received that email. I have tried to login in with my user name and password, but I get a message "unrecognized username or password". I have clicked the link for forgotten password, but I never receive the email message with my password, or instructions for resetting a password. When I try to register again, it says my user name and email address is already taken (presumably by me, when I registered the first time).

I've looked up the FAQ about contacting the Web Master, but clinking on that link that only takes me to a forum, where I have to be logged-in in order to contact the web master....caught in a Catch-22.

Anyone have Seb at Vinyl Engine's contact info? I need to contact him so that I can login or fix what is wrong that is preventing me from loggin in. His contact info is nowhere to be found at Vinyl Engine.

If someone can get ahold of him and send me a PM, or I can furnish my email address. Better yet, if someone can furnish me his email address I can get in touch with him directly.

Thanks,
PC

Did you check your spam folder? I know that was where my authentication e-mail from VE went when I signed up.

You may want to white-list no_reply@vinylengine.com and try the forgotten password link, I just used it to get the address and it works.
White-listing varies with the ISP, sometimes just putting the address in your address book works, sometimes you have to add it to a list.

I originally registered with my username and email address, the usual drill, and was told I would receive an "activation" email so that I could log-in, etc.
Sorry about that. I'm afraid there's no administration email address as spam on the old one became a real headache

Activation emails are sent immediately so if you don't get one within a couple of hours (some ISP are slower than others) it's almost definitely been flagged as spam. Sometimes you will find it in your junk mail folder, other times it's been intercepted by an over enthusiastic spam filter at your ISP. The only permanent fix is to register using an alternative email address as management of your account requires an active email address for password changes etc.

Sorry about that. I'm afraid there's no administration email address as spam on the old one became a real headache

Activation emails are sent immediately so if you don't get one within a couple of hours (some ISP are slower than others) it's almost definitely been flagged as spam. Sometimes you will find it in your junk mail folder, other times it's been intercepted by an over enthusiastic spam filter at your ISP. The only permanent fix is to register using an alternative email address as management of your account requires an active email address for password changes etc.

This is what I ended up doing, in fact.

Yeah, the fact that there are such quality problems with the VinylEngine site is unacceptable, IMHO.

While this site has useful information, resources, and links, it sure was a pain in the *ss to get to registered to get access to it.

There is virtually no "contact us" link so that if you have problems, you can get ahold of the administrators via that, what is it?, you know, that useful communication protocol called....email.

I was pulling my hair out there for a while and getting plenty exasperated. They have this link that if you have problems, to contact the webmaster, but when you click on the link, it just takes you to a forum where they ask you to leave a message in the forum, except that you can't leave a message because you have to be registered and logged in to to leave a message in the forum!

Talk about a Catch-22.

If I were to put my Six Sigma Black Belt hat on, this does not meet a Six Sigma level of quality execution or creating value for customers.

The admins need to deal with their quality problems if they want to attract and retain members.

Hi,
Just to clear this up once and for all, it's your ISP blocking the registration emails, not mine. I have no control over what happens to emails once they are at your service provider. There is a link at the top of every page called 'FAQ' that clearly states that you should use an alternative email address on the rare occasion that a registration email isn't received (about 1 in 100 bounce back from spam filters). I will add this information to the registration confirmation page for those who can't find the FAQ. I run the site in my spare time and do not have time to answer personal emails regarding this issue. If you aren't receiving registration emails please contact your ISP as the fault lies with them.

Just to make this clear, it's your ISP blocking the registration emails, not mine. I have no control over what happens to them once they are at your service provider. There is a link at the top of every page called 'FAQ' that clearly states that you should use an alternative email address on the rare occasion that a registration email isn't received (about 1 in 100 bounce back from spam filters). I will add this information to the registration confirmation page but there is no guarantee anyone will read it?

As for value for customers I don't suppose you've noticed the site is FREE?

I'm sorry the site doesn't meet your exacting standards but I'm not an IT professional, just a hobbyist who spends far too much of his spare time running the site as it is, and feedback like this makes me wonder why I bother :dunno:

You have a great site with a wealth of information contained within. Don't let the frustration of one guy get you down. Some people just don't get it.

RC

Don't let the frustration of one guy get you down. Some people just don't get it.
I wouldn't mind if I wasn't spending a stupid amount of my spare time maintaining the thing.

I've been thinking about the registration issue again, and it's pointless adding an email contact address as (a) it will get swamped with spam (the same goes for contact forms), (b) I don't have the time to check my email every day so response time would be diabolical and (c) when I did have one many of the replies would also bounce back, making it kind of pointless.

The only thing I can do is make it clearer what to do if a registration email doesn't arrive in good time :scratch2:

Probably a good idea. At least that way, people that are having problems gaining access to he site will have a clearer picture of what the problem might be and possible ways around it.

RC

You have a great site with a wealth of information contained within. Don't let the frustration of one guy get you down. Some people just don't get it.

RC

That's just the point, it wasn't just one guy, it was several people on a consisent basis.

Moreover, this is the only site with forums that I have ever had this type of trouble with in many years of participating in forums, so I have doubts that it is my ISP that is the issue, rather it is the nature of the email that is coming from VE.

Lastly, web sites should have a "Contact Us" link that actually allows one to contact the Admins. Every other I've used that was designed with it's customers in mind does, including AK:

Grab.jpg

I have doubts that it is my ISP that is the issue, rather it is the nature of the email that is coming from VE
The email is in a standard format as used on tens of thousands of sites that use the same CMS so I don't see what the problem could be?

FWIW a small percentage of bounce backs have always been an issue whatever software I've been running and from whatever server the site has been hosted on, it's the nature of spam filters, and it's unlikely the situation will improve.

Every other I've used that was designed with it's customers in mind does, including AK
What can I say? If it was a commercial operation rather than a hobby site run by one person in his spare time I'm sure it would be top of my list, but I simply don't have the time to personally respond to every person who is having problems registering. When I started out I was happy to answer emails, but with 50K+ visitors and a million page views a month this simply isn't possible any more. C'est la vie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom