Help with a Sony CDP-208ESD

Wes_in_VA

I just got one of these for free due to it dying after a power surge hit it. I'm trying to get in it to look around but can't even get the stupid cover off and can't find a manual for it.
I read somewhere that some of these players used a fuse. Can anyone confirm whether this one did? That sure would be a nice easy fix!

On the older Sony players the screws are on the bottom. If it went through a power surge, most likely all the chips inside are fried.

So no luck that all the innards are protected by a magic fuse, huh??
Man, that would've been cool.
Do you think there's any value to what's inside otherwise, i.e., could someone use the parts enough that it's worth my time and their $ for me to list this thing on ebay?

transport might still work .if its a Philips it might be worth something . are there no smd fuses on the pcb ? slight chance you might get lucky .

I have no doubt there are fuses and they could well be blown. Try the fuses but I wouldn't waste much time on it. My experience has been with surge subjected equipment, you find a shorted component. You replace it only to find something else that's blown. and something else, and something else, until you find something blown that's really expensive. If it doesn't work after the first bad component is replaced. pitch it. Do not sell it because likely every semiconductor is suspect. No good for parts.

Thanks much for the input. Sounds like this is a good piece to practice my soldering on circuit boards!

Thanks much for the input. Sounds like this is a good piece to practice my soldering on circuit boards!

Repaired one of these today for my brother. Had a door issue and wouldn't recognize the CD. All better now.

Has a KSS-150A laser in it, which may be worth a few bucks.

Top came off easy for me, but don't remember seeing fuses but could be the. Open it up and look. Nice sounding little CDP IMHO.

Hello. What kind of door issue? I have one here with a stuck drawer. Seems to be pretty stuck. I dont see a belt. Maybe just old dry lube?

Well, i found it. The belt for this machine is tucked discreetly under a concave built into the player mold only available from the underneath. So, remove the bottom panel, 6-8 screws. I frigged with the top side rails, gears, lubed everything too much and still no dice. Hours later when i finally wised up after seeing a belt available for this unit online and swearing it was a two model year... walla even a thinner much smaller belt worked in a jiffy. Another saved from the landfill. Sounds pretty nice too. Strange thing is, the output is variable tied to the headphone vol control with no fixed option like others i have seen.

Back
Top Bottom