Help with BMX ID ?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by Markoneswift, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock Subscriber

Hey all,

My first post outside of the audio realm so here goes. My son has been looking for an 'old skool' BMX for a while and today I think I found a good bike at the recyclers. I'm not too into bikes, but I know the GT brand is well regarded and this one appears to be a GT Performer Pro, possibly a late Nineties model.

Could anyone assist with pinpointing the model year or any more info about the bike ? I've sent a registration to the BMX museum site but I figured I would also ask the all-knowing AK collective :) Sorry for the bad pic, it's still in the car.....

IMG_20170223_150058.jpg

2. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

I used to race bmx in the 70s. Now I feel like I'm 70:). That is more of a bike for tricks with the pegs on the outside of the frame. Freestyle it was called. I would have to do some checking to figure out when it was made but I would guess the late 80s or so. I had some nice ones. DG, Redline, schwin, Race,fmf etc. I had a motobike made by yamaha that was too heavy to race but it had shocks and are rare and worth some cash. I will do some checking on the bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_BMX

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. mfhale

mfhale Super Member

You might reach out to our fearless leader, Grumpy. He allegedly knows a thing or two about old school BMX.

4. Markoneswift

Hey thanks, I've got an ID on the bike thanks to the people over at BMX Museum. It's a Trek Subvert 2.0 from around 96-97. It's had GT stickers put on it, presumably after receiving a paint job. Funny thing is, there was an actual GT Performer Pro for sale on our auction site recently for less than I paid for this pretender !!!

5. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

There was a family near me in FL back then that raced BMX pretty seriously. They actually had bike races with side cars, too. Seriously.
    Haro was a big name back then, too.
    Was there a Black Diamond as well?

6. Markoneswift

There was Diamondback, not sure about Black Diamond though.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Yeah, it was a long time ago so I'm probably not remembering it correctly. Too many spills off the ramp I guess.

8. K_50

K_50 Active Member

As long as it's in good working order (freestyles tend to get pretty beat up, so make sure to check the headset, crank bearings, and other wearing parts) that should be a decent bike. I had one of the later models (a '00 I think), and except for a snapped brake cable I didn't have any trouble with it.