Help with buying Technics TT

alexcrespo

Here are the options on my budget. Any pros, cons, recomendations and wisdom will be very welcome!
Im a plug and play type of person!!!

1. SL 2000
  2. SL 1500/ 1600/ 1700/ 1800
  3. SL 3
  4. SL 7
  5. SL 10
  6. SL 2D
  7. SL Q2
I really like the SL 3/ 7/ 10.
The SL 2000 is the only one that is black and matches my sansui TA 500 :p
But that just for the look, i need help with the techincal part

Thank you very much in advance!

A SL-1210 is black and better then any of the TT's you posted. Might cost a few bucks more but well worth it, you get the reliability of the venerable SL-1200mk2

I personally like the fully manual SL 1800. I have the SL 1800 MK 2. It is a beautifully built turntable and one of the easiest to use.

"Plug and play type of person" tells me you probably want one of the linear trackers, which I believe are all p-mount. Those are the ones that will set up in no time, need little or no adjustment and aren't likely to give you any problems. If you're just getting started and you just want to play records with no fuss or learning curve, that's easily the way to go.

The SL-1900(not listed) is black and a better deck than the SL-2000, Also not listed as options are the Sl-1300 and 1400, I have an SL-Q2 - good, solid, basic, semi-auto turntable which can be had at a very reasonable price

I just bought, and I mean like an hour ago, a very good condition SL-1800. Put an Ortofon 2M Blue on it, and am quite pleased with the sound. Turn it on, cue up the arm, drop it, and enjoy. Just remember it's a manual 'table, and you have to be awake when the record is over.

Last edited:
Here are the options on my budget. Any pros, cons, recomendations and wisdom will be very welcome!
Im a plug and play type of person!!!

1. SL 2000
  2. SL 1500/ 1600/ 1700/ 1800
  3. SL 3
  4. SL 7
  5. SL 10
  6. SL 2D
  7. SL Q2
I really like the SL 3/ 7/ 10.
The SL 2000 is the only one that is black and matches my sansui TA 500 :p
But that just for the look, i need help with the techincal part

Thank you very much in advance!

Option #2 is best, Option #6 and #7 are excellent. The others are cheaper built or T4p mount only (which has limited currently made options).

Does the SL-10 come with an EPC-310MC cartridge?
$_1.JPG

Just because the SL-10 came new with a 310MC cartridge, won't mean that all used SL-10s will come with one. Many have been replaced over the years, as the diamond wore out or the cantilever was damaged.

The small carriage linear trackers (SL-5, SL-6, SL-7, SL10, SL15, etc.) are very much plug-and-play machines, and in proper working condition can sound great. They are complicated and not so easy to fix, and there are limited (but still good) options for the p-mount (T4P) cartridges that they require.

The 1900 is just the full auto version of the 2000. Both are plasticy low-end units. I'd go with 6 or 7.

I would definitely go with option 2. The 1700 is an excellent spring suspended DD semi-auto, the 1600 is the same but full auto, and the 1800 the same but full manual. This series represents some of the best of the Technics home audio turntable lineup IMO.

The 1900 is just the full auto version of the 2000. Both are plasticy low-end units. I'd go with 6 or 7.

Not really, the SL-2000 is an older model than the 1900, The 1900 has better specs, tonearm and overall construction, I owned one years ago and was quite happy with it, it's more akin the the 1950 which is a changer. While not in the same league as the 1300-1800 models, is much less expensive and no slouch IMO

SLD2 or SLQ2 are good choices. D2 (direct drive) is most often for sale. Q2 (quartz drive) not so much.
both semi auto (auto return/stop).

I wouldn't call the 2000 "low-end." Yes, its base is plastic, but so what? It's still really well built, and looks awesome. I love mine.

The 1900 might have a better tonearm in theory, but in practice, they sound exactly the same. Also, the 1900/1950 has an odd tonearm lift lever that is notorious for seizing up.

The 2000 is a simpler machine. Interestingly, I think it might be the only Technics DD whose platter doesn't have a magnet. Does the original SP-10 have that?

I'd go with one of the SL-1XXX's myself. I used a 1500 for years, great table and bullet proof.

The 1800 is my first Technics, previously I've had Realistic or Pioneer. I really like this TT! It's quieter, more stable, and has better bass than the Pioneer it replaced. And it's suspended. Not a small consideration when one has cats...

Back
Top Bottom