Help with cartridge identification

Calsp3

i just received a Pioneer PL-117d table from an auction on eBay and it has a cartridge I cannot identify - plus the seller has no idea since they got it from an estate.
Attached is a photo from the side. There are no Id logos, marks or numbers I can see.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• CF434E79-6CD0-47E9-AC05-E26932CD2EE1.jpeg
    CF434E79-6CD0-47E9-AC05-E26932CD2EE1.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 51
i just received a Pioneer PL-117d table from an auction on eBay and it has a cartridge I cannot identify - plus the seller has no idea since they got it from an estate.
Attached is a photo from the side. There are no Id logos, marks or numbers I can see.
Thanks for any help.
Disconnect it from the head shell it will have something on top of the cartridge to ID it.

Should have thought to do that first probably, but after disconnecting the only Id on the top was “Japan”.
Took the blue stylus loose and found no Id there either.
At least I am being reacquainted with cartridge/stylus installation.

It's one of those Cartridges With A Thousand Faces. The Pfanstiehl pfolk indexed the stylus as 119-DE, and if you follow the link you'll see a long list.

Here's a Sony version from the Thakker website:
Sony VL-48 G .jpg

Last edited:
Was there a stock “optional” AT cartridge sold with the PL-117d?
It appears as vintage as the table and I cannot locate any Id.
The manual mentions an optional cart but further speaks to the many varied carts which could be employed with the table.
Probably need to just move on and buy new but now this has me intrigued.

Was there a stock “optional” AT cartridge sold with the PL-117d?
It appears as vintage as the table and I cannot locate any Id.
The manual mentions an optional cart but further speaks to the many varied carts which could be employed with the table.
Probably need to just move on and buy new but now this has me intrigued.

The factory cartridge was the Pioneer PC135 cartridge. :)

Well the stylus sure looks exactly like the 119-DE in the light blue version. Link says tracking force 1-2.5 grams which to this amateur seems like a wide range. Will try to setup in the middle and see how it goes with a few expendable records.
Thanks for all the assistance.

The Sanyo clone appears to be another option due to appearance, and the variety of non-labeled versions, available.
This is not going down the road to .... wow, I have an awesome cart in this deal ... so I will move on to a new cart and keep this as an emergency backup only.
Thanks again to all.

Back
Top Bottom