Help with Chromecast Audio

I admire your patience and persistence! But why not just stick with using the Android as the controller for the CCA?
I dunno.

The Android phone has proven to be reliable.

I guess it's the principal of the thing. I got the CCA with the intent to cast from my laptop, not my phone. And the laptop worked - at first.

And I was considering getting a Chromecast for video as I prefer my laptop for that over the phone, but if it's so clunky/quirky then it's a no go.

I see you are determined, so good for you! BUT, why not take a chance and buy a used laptop for Streaming or better yet a Tablet.

I see you are determined, so good for you! BUT, why not take a chance and buy a used laptop for Streaming or better yet a Tablet.
I'm cheap,and retired. :bigok:

I'd still be using a flip phone if my family hadn't given me a hand me down android phone as they all upgraded to iphones. And I'm using a hand me down laptop from my son after we got him a new one when he went to college.

This is the problem. How much is your time worth spending trying to fix a mediocre system (like CCA)? I mean there are good DAC's that you can get for under 200 bucks that would blow CCA out of the water as far as sound.

I mean one needs to ask the question, how much beating your head against the wall will you do before one stops and moves on?
Not sure what the DAC has to do with it. I have 4 CCAs. Three of them feed into good external DACs, bypassing the CCA DAC. One of them feeds into a good quality radio for my Granddaughters' bed room. It is quite adequate for that purpose. However, I would like to access the CCAs from my laptop, as I previously could prior to the storm/power failure.

Not sure what the DAC has to do with it. I have 4 CCAs. Three of them feed into good external DACs, bypassing the CCA DAC. One of them feeds into a good quality radio for my Granddaughters' bed room. It is quite adequate for that purpose. However, I would like to access the CCAs from my laptop, as I previously could prior to the storm/power failure.
What OS is your laptop running?

Mine is Win7.

My Macbook has never been able to find my CCA on it's own. But, if I start the stream on my android phone, bam, the macbook can see it and control it. I never really dug into why this is. I just use it that way.This is with Spotify.

Erik, I have 2 CCA's plus a regular Chromecast and cast to them with my android phone or my Windows 7 and Windows 10 laptops with 100% reliability. My son also casts to them with his I phone when he visits. Even do "group" casting to the CCA's. I usually cast Pandora or Amazon Prime music to the CCA's or YouTube music videos to the TV with the regular Chromecast. I was getting some dropouts initially, but had ATT Uverse install a newer model gateway (router/modem) and that solved the problem. Just a guess, but I would bet your problem has to do with your WiFi.

Just read this on a Chromecast help forum. Sounds like it's designed to work that way.

Thanks for coming to the Chromecast Help Forum. It sounds like Spotify and Chromecast Audio are working as intended. You are supposed to initiate the cast via your mobile device, but once you get Spotify casting, you can control it from the desktop/laptop client.

Just read this on a Chromecast help forum. Sounds like it's designed to work that way.

Thanks for coming to the Chromecast Help Forum. It sounds like Spotify and Chromecast Audio are working as intended. You are supposed to initiate the cast via your mobile device, but once you get Spotify casting, you can control it from the desktop/laptop client.

I was just trying this with my laptop since I never use it with my CCA. This seems to be the case. Once I started it from my phone or tablets then the laptop would see it. Did it 3 restarts and it did the samething every time.

I was just trying this with my laptop since I never use it with my CCA. This seems to be the case. Once I started it from my phone or tablets then the laptop would see it. Did it 3 restarts and it did the samething every time.
That doesn't work for me.

I tried casting from my phone - started casting, then back to my laptop, but it just can't find my CCA.

I even stopped casting from my phone, saw the disconnect notice, so I know the CCA is on my wifi and so is my laptop as that is how I'm posting this reply.

I have this nagging suspicion that for my setup, I need to use static IP assignments and bind the CCA's MAC to the original IP address it was given when I set it up the very first time back at Xmas. I wrote it down and may try that when our home wifi isn't being used by other family members.

That doesn't work for me.

I tried casting from my phone - started casting, then back to my laptop, but it just can't find my CCA.

I even stopped casting from my phone, saw the disconnect notice, so I know the CCA is on my wifi and so is my laptop as that is how I'm posting this reply.

I have this nagging suspicion that for my setup, I need to use static IP assignments and bind the CCA's MAC to the original IP address it was given when I set it up the very first time back at Xmas. I wrote it down and may try that when our home wifi isn't being used by other family members.
The difference in my case is that I was previously able to cast from one specific laptop. After I lost power in Nor'easter I, I no longer can. Laptop otherwise is fine. I can cast from iPhone or tablet. I only cast using music uploaded to Google Chrome Music Play, not a streaming service.

Well, I officially give up.

I set my router to do static IP assignment to the CCA, confirmed the setting, was able to cast to it from the phone, confirmed the MAC & IP pairing was in the laptop arp table, but it couldn't find it.

I reset the CCA, again, so it would do a fresh pick up of its assigned IP from the router, then did the CCA from the laptop, which found it via the setup menu, configured it from the laptop, got the CCA connected to my wifi, but then the laptop failed to find it while my phone instantly did.

All devices on the same 2.4Ghz band on my router, no dead spots, high/strong upload-download speeds from all devices.

I'll just use the phone.

I have a friend who isn't using his CCA, so thought I'd give this another go.

Nope.

More googling shows A LOT of people with the same issue; casting stopped working on their laptops and computers via Chrome.

Looks like with higher/newer versions of Chrome, casting is 'broken'. Folks have reported that rolling back to an earlier version of Chrome (v63.) is a work around.

I haven't decided if I want to roll back.

Meanwhile the Cast help pages are full of things to try that haven't worked for me.

That sux. I have had zero problems with of ours, nor have anyone I know with them???

I have had no problem with mine either but I don't use it the way Google intended it to be used. I use mine inside the the squeezebox environment with a plugin that allows LMS to see it as a squeezebox player. You just select it as if it were a player and then play some music (your own library, Spotify/Tidal, Radio Paradise, etc.). Control is via a computer, phone app (in this case the ancient SqueezeCommander) and or/tablet).

It never loses connection to the WiFi router and LMS always "sees" it.

Since going exclusively to a Digital front end using WiFi I have found that almost all problems are with the WiFi router and not the device. I have bought my own WiFi router (Linksys AC1900) and turned off the WiFi on the router that the cable company gave to me. Since then no dropouts.

I have had no problem with mine either but I don't use it the way Google intended it to be used. I use mine inside the the squeezebox environment with a plugin that allows LMS to see it as a squeezebox player. You just select it as if it were a player and then play some music (your own library, Spotify/Tidal, Radio Paradise, etc.). Control is via a computer, phone app (in this case the ancient SqueezeCommander) and or/tablet).

It never loses connection to the WiFi router and LMS always "sees" it.

Since going exclusively to a Digital front end using WiFi I have found that almost all problems are with the WiFi router and not the device. I have bought my own WiFi router (Linksys AC1900) and turned off the WiFi on the router that the cable company gave to me. Since then no dropouts.
Well, I did a test by uninstalling Chrome v66 (the newest version that auto updated today), and down loading and installing v63 (a Google search turned this up as a 'fix' for 'broken' casting).

Yup - v63 found my CCA until auto update changed my version to v66 again. Then casting stopped again.

Turning off Chrome auto updates involves making some changes to the registry..so..ah...no.

Is there anyone here that can cast to their CCA using the Chrome browser under Windows7? I'm not convinced it is a router issue as my test with rolling back to v63 worked.

I use Chrome on my Win7 Home machine and have not had a problem.

Edit: the only problems I have had was a router when we first got it and the fact our internet sux because we live in the middle of a swamp.

Last edited:
I use Chrome on my Win7 Home machine and have not had a problem.

Edit: the only problems I have had was a router when we first got it and the fact our internet sux because we live in the middle of a swamp.
Has your Chrome version been updated to v66?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom