Discussion in 'Digital Integration' started by iramegdal, Mar 5, 2018.
Has your Chrome version been updated to v66?
And the modem was over a year ago when we first got it.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to stream using Chrome? All of the streaming services I can think of have a stand-alone program that does not use the browser. Most do have browser based web versions, but they usually are inferior.
Also, I have found that if I ever lose control of the stream on my Android phone (using Spotify), stopping the app and starting again connects it again. You have to really stop the app from the open app drawer though, not just close it, otherwise it keeps running in the background.
You can use the devices tab of the Google Home app to stop the playback if whichever app you’re streaming through loses touch with the CCA.
I primarily stream a local radio station's internet feed via their website in Chrome.
Used to work fine from my laptop. I'm listening to it now via my android phone.
I think I've found a work around solution.
And it isn't router/wi-fi related.
It's the Vipre anti-virus/firewall software I have running on the laptop.
Haven't pinpointed the exact root cause, but I think it is a two step work around.
1. Add a trusted IP thru the firewall for the CCA
2. Disable the software firewall, but just temporarily.
With just the IP 'exception' my laptop still can't find any cast destinations. But when I also disable the firewall, then try casting, my laptop CAN find the CCA.
Then, I re-enable the firewall and the laptop can still find the CCA.
But, I have to do this every time I reboot/restart my laptop.
On a clean restart, the laptop will not find my CCA. But if I do a quick disable firewall, cast (which then finds the CCA) and re-enable the CCA, then this will work.
I am not familiar with Viper, but I would think that there is a way to add an exception to your firewall to let the CCA signal pass freely in both directions. I don't have time to look at the moment, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find the ports and protocols the CCA is using. I'm glad you may have found a solution, and it makes me think that others with similar issues would benefit from hearing about this.
I guess I'll have to do some more digging, but I did add an exception, by IP address. By itself, it didn't seem to work.
I can live with the work around as it means only disabling the Vipre firewall until I establish a casting connection to my CCA. Then I can re-enable the firewall and can resume my usual on-line routine.
I can even stop casting, then restart it and the CCA can still be found w/o having to disable the firewall feature.
It's only after a restart or reboot that my laptop can't find my CCA unless I disable the firewall.
Just as a follow up.
The firewall disable/cast/enable 'work around' is giving me consistent results.
After firing up the laptop in the morning from a cold start, I go thru the 3 step process above and connect to my CCA.
If I leave for errands and turn off my laptop, I just repeat the above steps (or occasionally I have to reboot due to other gremlins I fight with), and can happily cast from my laptop.
I've done this several times over the last couple of days and it has worked every time.
Separate names with a comma.