Help with Chromecast Audio

(1) casting can only be performed from a chrome browser; (2) multiple CCA units cannot be used simultaneously

Casting using Chrome seems to result in awful compression distortion. But there are plenty of apps that will cast directly to a CCA. I use BubbleUPnP on Android.

You can simulcast to multiple CCAs. You just have to create a Group. Then cast to the group.

Don't forget to set the high definition mode.

Its onboard DAC isn't the best, but, if connected to a decent external DAC via its optical TOSlink output, it performs very well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

So, I thought I'd chime in again on my experiences.

Getting my laptop to find the CCA was a VERY frustrating experience, since at first it worked fine. After A LOT of deep digging into direct connecting my laptop, firmware or router settings, resetting the CCA, updating my Chrome browser, updating firmware on the CCA, etc, my current 'work around' to casting from my laptop is still as described above: turn on the laptop, let all programs load and start, disable my Vipre antivirus/firewall program, open a Chrome browser session, link to my desired website music site, cast from my Chrome browser session, then re-enable the Vipre antivirus/firewall program.

Works fine until the rest of the house wakes up and starts bringing their own wifi devices on-line. That's when stuttering & stalling happens. I'm now trying to isolate exactly which device, or combo of devices, initiates the problems.

And I know it isn't an IP conflict as I've gone into the router and made static IP (and MAC binding) assignments to my laptop and CCA.

I've also asked all family members to connect any 5Ghz capable device to the appropriate wifi connection on our dual band wifi router.

So, current status:
I can connect consistently to the CCA and cast
But I still get stuttering, dropouts, and stalled casting sessions when others in the house start firing up all their wifi devices.
And, it's taken WAY more time and effort than it should to get to where I am now. WAY more.

But I still get stuttering, dropouts, and stalled casting sessions when others in the house start firing up all their wifi devices.

Sounds like you need more bandwidth. And I feel you, I live at the end of a crappy internet service in a swamp. I can tell when something gets wet or everyone in front of me is online.

Edit: and yes updates need to be up to date for everything to run smooth in my experience.

:beerchug:

Sounds like you need more bandwidth. And I feel you, I live at the end of a crappy internet service in a swamp. I can tell when something gets wet or everyone in front of me is online.

Edit: and yes updates need to be up to date for everything to run smooth in my experience.

My plan is to use both my smartphone app for wifi speed test, and my laptop in the same spot as the CCA (which is located directly under the router upstairs) to test my wifi connection when the stuttering/stalling happens.

It could be bandwidth, it could be something else - that's the drain on enjoying uninterrupted streaming in my house...too much time spent on troubleshooting connection issues.

A good app for looking at your wifi signal is "Wifi Analyzer." I use it on android, so I'm not sure if there is a iOS version, but I'm sure there is something similar. It shows the strength of the signal in any particular location, as well as what channel it's broadcasting on.

I agree that the majority of CCA problems are either network related, or user error, not problems with the actual device or software. Not that this makes it easy to diagnose. Network gremlins can be a real pain, since there are so many variables, and everyone's network and hardware is different.

Personally, I have never had any problems with my CCA that weren't remedied by something like a quick restart of Spotify or something similar. I think it's a great device that bridges the gap between vintage analog gear, and the modern world of streaming, both inexpensively and relatively simply.

My plan is to use both my smartphone app for wifi speed test, and my laptop in the same spot as the CCA (which is located directly under the router upstairs) to test my wifi connection when the stuttering/stalling happens.

It could be bandwidth, it could be something else - that's the drain on enjoying uninterrupted streaming in my house...too much time spent on troubleshooting connection issues.

Symptom recognition= everyone gets on the WiFi and it starts acting wonky

I have three single source vintage stereos in my house that are all connected to my server via WiFi. Almost all the problems I had were do to the WiFi and not the hardware. A few months ago I upgraded to a Cox Pavilion cable/WiFi router and I haven't had a dropout or stutter since.

With the old router, when I started to get stutters it meant it was time to reboot the Cable/WiFi router. That was about every two weeks. I also have two cheap WiFi extenders located throughout the house. The strange thing is with the old router the CCA was by far the most stable.

WiFi is why I moved to Sonos years ago. Sets up its own Mesh network, completely apart from your house WiFi. Every Sonos node extends the Mesh, so WiFi issues have been non-existent for me for years.

You can now get similar results on cheaper systems with Mesh WiFi routers from Google and others, usually sold in 3-packs for about $300. I'm sticking with Sonos, though, has worked extremely well, and is much more flexible than Google's Chromecast.

I agree that the majority of CCA problems are either network related, or user error, not problems with the actual device or software.

^^^ This

I guess I was lucky, just plugged mine in and it worked great after setting it up on my Google home page.

Ok, I'll bite; what is meant by "user error"?

Are their specific examples you can cite; maybe I am doing something else wrong - at least it would be something else to check off the list of possibilities.

Ok, I'll bite; what is meant by "user error"?

From what I have seen in these threads its a lot of the stuff you fixed in your post #63. Mostly properly setting up the CCA on the Google home page and updates. I am no where near an expert, I fumble thru this like anyone else. I found it extremely easy to set up following Googles instructions and the only problems I have are mostly ISP/WiFi related, but when that happens I loss everything (internet/cable). I do lose connection from the device (iPhone, iPad, Kindle) I am using and the CCA every once in a while but that is usually only if I am doing multiple other tasks from the device. Easy fix, I just close whatever app I am streaming from, reopen and reconnect to the CCA, works every single time. Not having any of the issues some seen to be having I am not much help other than saying it can work great when "properly" set up.

Living with ISP and WiFi issues myself I think your main problem is your WiFi.

Edit: my router is in the same room and no more than 8 ft from anything connected to it via cable or WiFi.

The location of the CCA can make a difference. As a test I placed mine in a small metal box and the wifi signal was totally blocked.

Toslink cables can also fail if handled roughly. I had one cable that looked fine but it would drop a channel.

I use the Ethernet adapter for one of my CCA's, the other is on WiFi (Linksys Velop mesh). Both work well, I will say that if you have a dual 2.4/GHz network with different SSID's for each one, that complicates things (at least it did with my old routers). Also, on wireless you may have QoS settings where you can give your CCA's bandwidth priority, which can help if there are a lot of devices on your network.

I use the Ethernet adapter for one of my CCA's, the other is on WiFi (Linksys Velop mesh). Both work well, I will say that if you have a dual 2.4/GHz network with different SSID's for each one, that complicates things (at least it did with my old routers). Also, on wireless you may have QoS settings where you can give your CCA's bandwidth priority, which can help if there are a lot of devices on your network.

This is where I am lacking, clueless but "smart" enough to fumble thru it with some guidance. Just glad my set up went smooth.

The location of the CCA can make a difference. As a test I placed mine in a small metal box and the wifi signal was totally blocked.

Toslink cables can also fail if handled roughly. I had one cable that looked fine but it would drop a channel.
My CCA is on the first floor where my audio rig is located. The wifi router is in the master bedroom *directly* above the CCA; about 12 ft straight up.

I get excellent signal strength.

How does having a dual band router 'complicate' things? My laptop and the CCA both connect to the 2.4GHz band. I've instructed all family members that if they have a 5GHz capable laptop or smartphone to connect to the 5GHz band. They have different SSIDs.

Hi dude. Maybe I can help. I have not read all of the input so sorry if I restate someone's ideas here. I have both chromecast and Google home devices in my home so I know something about this. So I can say that if you are trying to run three chromecast devices and what two laptops and a tablet on one 2.4 mhz connection that's only getting a 34ghz bandwidth, you have a problem. Plus if you have other things on the same network with them that makes things worse. My suggestion is that you reset your chromecast devices, laptops and tablets to your 5gz network. This will give you more bandwidth to work with. Also leave a much as you can of other items in your house on the other 2.4 network. Once you do check the 5gz network and see how bandwidth you connected at. With luck, your getting faster then 34 mhz. This should speed things up plus give you enough room for your third device. Now this may not solve your problem but it's a start. Check your network setting on the laptop with the issue. Is it set on the same network as the chromecasts you are trying to connect to? Make sure they all have different names. Also count how many devices do you have hooked up in your house currently? By splitting up your networks this may solve any device address issues you may have if that is the problem within the router itself. With a device that will see the chromecast device that you as re have a problem hooking up too, check to make should it is fully updated. With the power outage and your full resets, you may have to update the unit to make it work now. I fact, all your devices may need to be updated again. Check them. Just a thought.
Good luck my friend!

Just a question since I am clueless. I am assuming my CCA is hooking up to the 2.4Ghz network since I didn't "tell" it to do otherwise, my iPhone and iPad connect to 5Ghz. My phone and iPad see my CCA everytime. @Wolfman181 is that normal?

How does having a dual band router 'complicate' things? My laptop and the CCA both connect to the 2.4GHz band. I've instructed all family members that if they have a 5GHz capable laptop or smartphone to connect to the 5GHz band. They have different SSIDs.
Before I got my mesh router, a device on the 5 GHz band could not see a Chromecast on the 2.4 GHz band. So for example if my wife wanted to cast from her iPad, she would have to point it to the 2.4 GHz band to connect to the Chromecast.

For me, putting my CCA which is in my main system on the Google Ethernet adapter was the best $15 I've spent. My CCA in the garage system (which is sporadically used) connects to WiFi.

I'm going to say it's a router issue also. Only because I was having issues with certain apps (Nest, LetGo) not loading on phone when connected to my wifi.
If I turned off wifi, apps would load. Once I upgraded to a better router (netgear Nighthawk R7000 ac1900) issues went away. Never had an issue with the CCA,
but seems kinda same thing you are having.

I am not sure why they choose the way they to. I know that the Google home device when they were first put out would only work on a 2.4 hz network.It was only after an update did they start working on the 5 hz networks. So if this is true with the chromecast devices then it would make sense they would go to the 2.4 first.

It sounds like to me that you need a way to manage your devices. I use an app called Google home. Its available on the Play Store. With this you can log into each device and see or change how each device is logged into your network. You can then change them to the 5 ghz network and see the bandwidth. I hope this helps. Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom