Help with Chromecast Audio

I have a dual band router but I only use the 2.4 GHz band. Right now I have 28 hosts connected to the network including my 3 network players. My server PC is hooked directly to the cable/WiFi router via ethernet. I have no problems when the kids are watching Netflix and I am listening to music.

I use my CCA like @mprince does. Logitech Media Server sees the CCA as a squeezebox via a plugin but I don't think that has anything to do with why it stays connected to the network.

Bitrate for Pogoplug v4 = 43.3 Mb/s (connected to an WiFi extender)
Bitrate for Raspberry Pi = 72.2 Mb/s (connected to Cable/WiFi router)

I hope to OP gets it ironed out because when working properly the CCA is really a nice addition to a stereo system for next to nothing $ wise.

I've only got 1 Chromecast Audio. Both the CCA and my older laptop only see the 2.4GHz network SSID.

I only cast from my laptop, I've only used my Blustudio Android smartphone to setup the CCA to be full range audio. I hardly *ever* cast from my phone.

And yes, the stuttering/stalling problem still happens when I do cast from the phone.

It made sense to 'push' all 5GHz host devices to that SSID: 1)they get off the 2.4GHz band, 2)they get better bandwidth as well

I do have other low data rate end points on the 2.4Ghz band, but they aren't contributors, as early in the morning when I'm the only one awake, the CCA performs great (and all these other devices are on-line).

I stream jazz88.org from their "Listen Live" tab link: I can't imagine it is more than 320kbps - if that. For such a low data rate, I'm scratching my head as to why I get stuttering/stalling. I use a TP-Link Archer C7 router (450Mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5 GHz). It shouldn't 'choke' on a 320kbps feed.

Anyway, I've got Holiday Season chores piling up so I don't have time to do any deep diving/testing. The CCA issue is on the back burner, for now.

It made sense to 'push' all 5GHz host devices to that SSID: 1)they get off the 2.4GHz band, 2)they get better bandwidth as well

Besides the airway congestion, you also need to consider if your router is up to carrying the amount of traffic your networked devices are using. If you are shunting a lot of media traffic around, your router may not be able to cope, causing hiccups.

^^^ This

I guess I was lucky, just plugged mine in and it worked great after setting it up on my Google home page.

^^^This also. I plugged mine in and set it up using Google Home and have had virtually zero problems since. We’re using a Netgear Nighthawk dual band router. I only cast from iPhone or iPad. I never bothered casting from my laptop. The CCA uses optical to my amp. My laptop goes through the Oppo dac to the amp. Almost all of my casting is with Spotify. I can’t imagine going through all the gyrations some of y’all have gone through. I don’t have that kind of patience for a $20 item. I’m pretty sure my head would have exploded by now. o_O

The one I tried, and have not returned yet, set up and worked, not as effortlessly as my BT setup, but it did. Its just no better SQ wise to justify keeping and besides, the little cheap disc runs hot like it would be a fire hazard.

Its just no better SQ wise to justify keeping

I'm not sure what Bluetooth device you are using, or which audio protocol you are using over Bluetooth, but they're all lossy.

CCA is capable of lossless rendering (up tp 24bit/96kSa/s), so, if you have a lossless, high quality source, and have enabled the high definition mode, you should be able to notice the improved sound quality.

But if you've tried that, and still don't hear a difference, I agree there's no real point keeping it. Unless you buy a couple more for multi-room playback...

Well I have been doing the 90 day trial run with Tidal and deezer
The Tidal selection is on hi-fi and deezer just says highest quality. So maybe I am not getting the really best since I am not yet paying, I don't know.
My bluetooth setup is from my LG tablet to Audioengine B1 optical out to Oppo 205 dac . It sounds just as good as the CCA.
Now I would really like to try the CCA streaming jazzgroove.org
But their apt has no casting option. Using the BT that station just blows away what I am hearing from tidal or deezer .
Right now even my tuner is giving them strong competition .

Well I have been doing the 90 day trial run with Tidal and deezer
The Tidal selection is on hi-fi and deezer just says highest quality. So maybe I am not getting the really best since I am not yet paying, I don't know.
My bluetooth setup is from my LG tablet to Audioengine B1 optical out to Oppo 205 dac . It sounds just as good as the CCA.
Now I would really like to try the CCA streaming jazzgroove.org
But their apt has no casting option. Using the BT that station just blows away what I am hearing from tidal or deezer .
Right now even my tuner is giving them strong competition .
How did you set up your CCA?

The only way I got access for options to control audio quality, bass & treble settings was thru the Google Home App downloaded to my android phone.

There are no such settings when I use my laptop; just volume.

I am listening to jazzgroove.org right now on my CCA and it doesn't sound better than Spotify premium which streams at 320 kbps. Free Spotify streams at 128 kbps. Jazzgroove streams at 128 kbps. I like what I am hearing though.

Last edited:
I am listening to jazzgroove.org right now on my CCA and it doesn't sound better than Spotify premium which streams at 320 kbps. Jazzgroove streams at 128 kbps. I like what I am hearing though.

The heat thing is strange. Mine has been on 24/7 and gets used for many hours a day and never gets hot. I have been paying attention for the last 4 hours of constant use and it’s barely warmer than ambient room temp. IMO if not noticing a difference over MP3 and running that hot there may be an issue with it.

Edit: and if the streaming apps are set up correctly and the CCA is set via Google Home all should be good.

Last edited:
The audio settings I mention is on the Tidal and Deezer apps. Not on the CCA app.

The CCA unit I have runs very hot, I was surprised.

I am listening to jazzgroove.org right now on my CCA and it doesn't sound better than Spotify premium which streams at 320 kbps. Free Spotify streams at 128 kbps. Jazzgroove streams at 128 kbps. I like what I am hearing though.
I had Spotify premium, it didn't sound anytime as good as jazzgroove. That's why I started looking elsewhere .

The audio settings I mention is on the Tidal and Deezer apps. Not on the CCA app.

The CCA unit I have runs very hot, I was surprised.

The CCA needs set up also. And running hot is not right!

Edit: and not being a DH but there are plenty of threads on here about hearing and with our age demographic IMO it is overlooked. Over Thanksgiving my dad could not tell the difference in a really good system between BT and a CD, he’s 78. And that being said there is a 28yr old kid at work that can’t tell obvious SQ differences but he did 3 infantry deployments in Afghanistan so he knows he can’t hear. Not saying that’s the case but plenty of it talked about on here.

Last edited:
I didn’t need to do that?
Do you have a link for the download and instructions?

I'm running Windows 7 Premium. Google search turned up several links that say I can't run Google Home natively in Windows 7 and need to run an Android Emulator to then run Google Home.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom