Help with cleaning an old speaker surround

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by nick parkin, Aug 12, 2018.

1. nick parkin

nick parkin AK Subscriber Subscriber

Greetings! I just got another pair of the Coral Holes baskets and the surround on one of them has a lot of dirt on it and was wondering if there was a way to clean the surround. I was thinking maybe a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol? It is a fabric surround that is coated in a thin layer of rubber.

Any tips?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

Nope. Alcohol on rubber is not a good idea. It removes oils that the rubber needs to stay flexible.

3. nick parkin

any way to clean them? these things are literal dust magnets and the surround has lots of large particles and dust on them!

Im thinking maybe my Dyson with a soft bristle attachment?

4. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

5. nick parkin

what does that mean

6. century tek

century tek Super Member

It means that it sounds like a good idea. :beerchug:

Please register to disable this ad.

7. nick parkin

only problem is that the coral cone is incredibly fragile. I pushed it in with two fingers on each side of the dust cap (made sure to not push directly on the dust cap) and it dented it. Thankfully its easy to press out the dent.

8. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

You could also try just a dry tooth brush. Loosen everything then vacuum or knock the dust out

9. nick parkin

I used the soft bristles to lightly loosen the dust but these surrounds are dust magnets. Ive never seen a surround that collects as must dust as these corals.

10. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use a soft paintbrush and the open hose of the vacuum cleaner without attachments. Don’t get the suction too close to the surrounds or the cone just hold it about an inch or two away and use the soft paintbrush to ‘sweep’ the dust into the suction of the hose. Again, no vacuum parts too close or touching the speaker surrounds or cone - too much of a risk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]