Help with Deoxit and Sansui 9090

Balinus

Hello!

So i am in the process of using Deoxit on a Sansui 9090, following the Idiot Guide here on AK. However, I'm slightly lost as to what I really need to remove and where do I actually apply the Deoxit.

From my reading, I found that I needed to remove the faceplate. However, behind the faceplate, there's another metal plate. I'm not sure if I have to remove that plate also?

Here's an image :

D5XNjrA.jpg

So, should I remove that metal plate or do I simply put some Deoxit through the metal plate?

Thanks for any help! Never did that.

Now, I am in the middle process on restoring one 9090 Sansui receiver, and please take a look to the next pictures:

PICT1495_1_zps5638cd43.jpg

That is volume – balance potentiometer on yours 9090 receiver. And look to the next picture

PICT1495_2_zps206d89cb.jpg

That pictures shows all parts of that potentiometer… and…

PICT1495_3_zpsbecd41d4.jpg

That is one part of that potentiometer, look how dirty it is, and

PICT1495_4_zps4c9b3ca7.jpg

It should be like on picture above. So what you think, can you clean it just only by putting Deoxid, without open it?

Or… the next example from the same receiver:

PICT1516_zps82165f4d.jpg

Those are tone control potentiometers, and look at the next picture

PICT1516_1_zpsf4d0ed64.jpg

That is grease inside of them, and if you are applying Deoxid to the potentiometer, without open it, that grease will be everywhere inside of potentiometer, and then situation can be worse!

So my suggestion is, if you really want the best for yours receiver, give that job to some technician who can do that on right way. But if you still wish to do that deoxid job, you should remove that subcase, like on the next picture

PICT1554_zps9bcd09d3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy. Thanks a lot for the information. I guess I bought Deoxit for nothing then! hehehe It's certainly over my skill to disassemble to such extent.

So, in the end, you're telling me that the Sansui 9090 is much harder to Deoxit than most amp?

Oh boy. Thanks a lot for the information. I guess I bought Deoxit for nothing then! hehehe It's certainly over my skill to disassemble to such extent.

No... Deoxid is very good for cleaning connectors, and you can do this. It is good for potentiometers too, but not just punting it inside of potentiometer, without open it. I just wish to say the right way how to do that job.

So, in the end, you're telling me that the Sansui 9090 is much harder to Deoxit than most amp?

The same story is with all potentiometers. Every potentiometer has some kind of grease.

One another example, cleaning switches:

PICT1526_zpsf21d1425.jpg

PICT1527_zps7b0ac228.jpg

PICT1528_zps4c26a0bf.jpg

and deoxid treatment

PICT1529_zpsb8d710d5.jpg

By connectors you mean the speaker's connectors and RCA input? or something inside the amp?

By connectors you mean the speaker's connectors and RCA input? or something inside the amp?

Yes, speakers connectors, rca connectors, and connectors inside of receiver. But always do that with power cord out from AC mains, and you should leave unit for some time to get dry connectors.

Yes, speakers connectors, rca connectors, and connectors inside of receiver. But always do that with power cord out from AC mains, and you should leave unit for some time to get dry connectors.

ok!

Thanks for your help! I'll do that and be done with it, until I pile up some cash to hire a tech.

Last edited:
Hi, I know this is a really old thread but is there any way to get these pictures back, or are the posted somewhere else? Thank you!

Been mentioned elsewhere of late, unfortunately the hosting site that many members used outside of AK to save AK server storage space is now demanding stupid amounts of yearly fees to those members to allow file postings, a real nuisance :(

Because photobucket blocked all my image links, it is almost impossible to fix that, the only way is to edit every picture link to new one link on all thread what I have written here and on other forums where I posted my picture… The most forums doesn’t allow edit old post, so you see what is the main problem. Some of Sansui restorations I moved to my web site, so there you can see this 9090 restoration too.

I am very sorry about that (and what I have trusted to photobucket).

Kale, What is your website address to view the pictures?
You can still see the pictures if you use the right click on your mouse, then ''open image on new tab" with chrome.
kind of inconvenient, but is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind when looking at Kale's work, he is a very skilled expert. These components were never designed to be disassembled. It is very difficult to successfully disassemble and reassemble them. It takes practice and good tools. You will surely damage some in the process. If you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't try it on anything that replacement parts would be difficult to find.

- Pete

Please keep in mind when looking at Kale's work, he is a very skilled expert. These components were never designed to be disassembled. It is very difficult to successfully disassemble and reassemble them. It takes practice and good tools. You will surely damage some in the process. If you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't try it on anything that replacement parts would be difficult to find.

- Pete

Thanks, understood and agreed! Any repair work I have learned I have always first practiced on a throw-away receiver or other electronic. Been doing it for over 30 years and learned quite a lot and gotten pretty good too. I agree don't start from scratch on something you love.

Thanks, understood and agreed! Any repair work I have learned I have always first practiced on a throw-away receiver or other electronic. Been doing it for over 30 years and learned quite a lot and gotten pretty good too. I agree don't start from scratch on something you love.

Back
Top Bottom