1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Help with EMIT-R Integration

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by old_s13, Sep 27, 2018.

1. old_s13

old_s13 New Member

Hello everyone

I am trying to do something that may be considered stupid, but I have some excess speakers and parts that I am trying to put to work. I'm a firm believer in making lemonade out of lemons.

I have a beater pair of Mackie HR824 studio monitors that were missing tweeters. And, I happened to have an extra pair of EMIT-R tweeters that dropped in with minimal modification. I've known that all of the EMIT tweeters need to be crossed over higher than traditional tweeters. The current crossover is @ 1.6 kHz which is too low and I believe would end up damaging the EMIT tweeter. Does anyone have any advise on how I can raise the HF crossover point to protect the EMIT-Rs?

Spec-wise, the tweeters seem to be fairly close:
    Vifa Titanium Dome Tweeter measured @ 4.7ohm w/ 91db sensitivity
    EMIT-R measured @ 3.4ohm. This may be incorrect, but the sensitivity I found online was 94db.

Thanks for any advice

Please register to disable this ad.

2. pauljh

pauljh Active Member

Earlier EMITs (not EMIT-Rs) can survive with a first order 3KHz crossover which you can get with a 3.5uF series capacitor, but you should also add a 1.25 amp AGC fuse.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

In their original applications--the Kappa X.1 series, Infinity crossed them over at 4.7KHz, but that was a three-way design. I don't know how low you can actually push them, but it sounds like you might not be able make them work effectively even down to 3KHz, and crossing them at 4.7KHz is likely to leave you a big "hole" in the midrange.

It appears that the original crossover in your Mackies was 1900Hz, so that will definitely leave a big "hole".

4. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

This page says that they are biamplified, which implies an active crossover, which in turn means that modifications will be a lot more complicated and probably not practical.

5. old_s13

old_s13 New Member

The more I've thought about it the more I believe its not going to be possible, due to the frequency gap between the two drivers. I've always heard the EMITS should be crossed over at a min of 3kHz, but I am not sure just how durable the EMIT-Rs are in comparison. It would be a waste of a great tweeter as I would hate to just burn it up.

I have a replacement pair of original Mackie tweeters coming anyway, but I was damn curious to see if the EMITs would sound nice in this application.

6. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Infinity Qe in crossed at 2.5Khz 2nd order, but it's not an Emit R.

I'd say you need another tweeter. Or try them, but adding a capacitor to filter lower freqs going to the tweeter.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. 432HzBob

432HzBob Super Member

I think the EMIT-R's are meant to be crossed over a little higher than the regular Emit's.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  8. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

Ooh Frankenstein. Let us know what u come up with. And pics when u can.