Help with Empire 598

stereofisher

Music forever
Subscriber
A8B9D710-0C96-46BE-8A03-71C0ECA5CDF9.jpeg Been working on turntables a long time. This is my first Empire. Fixing for my friend at our record shop here in Kingston, NY. These are built like tanks. Though not mint, it’s cleaning up OK. Could not find a manual for it on Vinylengine. How do you change belts on this? Looks like you get at it from the bottom and loop around the motor from the top. Need to find the points to clean and lubricate too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

I put the belt on the inner platter (though it's higher on it than it should be, and then fish it around the pulley. Move the platter by hand it the belt goes to position. But even when it goes well, it's bizarrely fiddly for something that ought to be pretty routine.
That's not even addressing the question of belt size - apparently they used three different lengths, without telling anyone. (And if the issue you are addressing is that the belt falls off, or can't be comfortably stretched to fit, there's your problem.)

Not sure what you mean by “looks like you get at it from the bottom” for the belt. If you remove the thumb screw on the left front, the motor cover comes off to loop the belt over the motor pully. Have you had the platter apart to get to the flywheel?

John

Not sure what you mean by “looks like you get at it from the bottom” for the belt. If you remove the thumb screw on the left front, the motor cover comes off to loop the belt over the motor pully. Have you had the platter apart to get to the flywheel?

John

Not sure how the platter comes off. Did remove the cover exposing the motor pulley.

It's a two piece platter. Take off the rubber mat, and separate the outer dress rim from the main platter. Attach or remove the belt as wanted.

Back
Top Bottom