Help with identify the Mcintosh Amp

Hi,

just wondering if somebody can help me,

upload_2019-1-19_14-47-36.png
found this picture and cant say what model it is or even is it Mcintosh or it is just a sticker. Never seen Mcintosh only in silver?

thx on help.

That very amp has been discussed here before. While it certainly looks like an MC2505 or an MC2105 with an aluminum faceplate, it’s really hard to say. It could be that the faceplate was built custom by the owner.

Either way, looks to be something that an admirer of Jerry Garcia’s rig put together - like a downscaled version as he used an MC2300 (bud man) amp.

Nice looking road case but wonder about the venting.......hopefully fans in the back.

I am sure someone customized a Mc2105, now if there is a custom Ambleic tube preamp for a guitar somewhere in the stack........it might really be something.

Whatever it is, I like it.

My money's on MC2105 judging by the height.

The oversized "McIntosh" insignia I could do without.

Seeing this again reminded me of a history that I found interesting. Written by Jim now Janet Furman, www.furmanhistory.com is a interesting insight into the back scenes of the SF music scene.

Some Mac history, some dead, and the birth of a startup.....

That all said I could easily see a broken glass Mc2100 turned into a portable small venue/ practice setup......a Mc2300 is just a scaled up mc2100.

It looks as though the handles have been reinforced to be more than ornamental by the screws surrounding them. The glass face would have to go also on something packed around from place to place.

The three inside the handle screws look to be spaceced correctly for for the panloc bracket mounts and the black ferrule "buttons" appear to be located in the right location for the panloc locks.

Wish the picture was in focus enough to read the brand of the two two channel mixers as well as the other racked units.

The mixers look familar, should know what they are, but can't identify them.

If you read Janet's history it does sound like certain performers were not bashful about bringing in a wad of cash or some other currency to have a custom job done.

The McIntosh isn't in the rack either, its on its own, the rack is actually sitting on top of the amp...

Looks like an altered 2105 to me. I guess with the success of the rack mounted 2300 Mac started building 2120's and 2200's. I rack mounted 2205's 2125's, 2255's 2155's 7150's , 7270's and 7300's all the time using the panics in fixed locations. Only a few portable discos used Mac 2120's and 2200's . The amps were just getting too heavy. Ever try lifting a 2600 by your self or a 3500. Only once. When building discos in Mexico the Mexican laborers would throw them on their friends backs to carry them up flights of stairs as the elevators weren't working yet. Little guys not much taller than 5 ft were carrying 2300 's with little effort it seemed. But then they carried large sacs of cement, plaster, and tiles up the stairs the same way.

Back
Top Bottom