Help with KC-206 Control Amp

Sullyszoo

I have a Kenwood rack system (Spectrum 960CD digital Audio System) that I purchased new in 1988. The system has been working great until recently when the control amp quit. It is a KC-206. It won't turn on and when the power button is pushed, all I get is the sound of a relay clicking on and off. No lights or screen.

The other components in the system are:
KM-206 Power Amp
KD-66F Turntable
KT-76 Tuner
KX-96W Cassette Deck
GE-76 Graphic Equalizer
SS-79 Surround Processor
CD-206 CD Player

The easiest solution would be to find a used KC-206 control amp. I haven't had much luck finding one. I don't know if it could be repaired.

Another option would be to find a different control amp that would still be compatible with my other components. I really like the way the system soounded and would hate to start over with an all new system. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. Would a modern control amp work the old components? Sorry for the long post. I am really confused on what to do. Sullyszoo

I used to have the kc-206 control amp and the km-208 power amp. I don't know how to fix your problem with the preamp but.....When I changed to a different preamp it sounded so much better. The amp is well built and sounds good, but the preamp not so much. This seems to be the general consensus also. I would try to find a kenwood basic pre, much nicer. I went to an adcom gtp-350 and it was a nice upgrade. So my advice is try to find a used preamp, you can get them pretty cheap I got mine for 60 bucks.

Will a pre amp from another manufacturer work with my older Kenwood components? How new of a pre amp can I get to work with the older system?
Thanks, Sully

Yes, you can go with any manufacturer you like. You could get a preamp from 1970 or a preamp from 2012 they all work. If you want to stick with kenwood, I would go with their basic series preamp the C1 or C2.

Attachments

• kbasic.jpeg
    kbasic.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 15
I have the exact same system, purchased new in Heidelberg, Germany in late 80's at the Military base Sight N' Sound store. It was perfect last time I had it all connected up. Now, after upacking it all for the last time, - except for cone replacement needed on both 8 and 10" speakers (or entire speaker replacements) I'm ready to go.... but I can't.

So my issue is that after 30+ years, I cannot find my 'System Interconnection Guide' , or any of the 7 individual component user/connection pamphlets for the Spectrum 960CD digital Audio System. All got lost.. and now so am I. Can anyone provide at the very least this 3-5page 'How to hook everything together' PDF for me?

Thanks in advance

EEguy, i suggest you connect your speakers, KM, KC preamp, and the cd player.

listen to it to verify it is working.

if this is difficult, I can take a few pics of similar KM and KC. I don't have a CD-206 so you will need to post a pic of the rear.

I'd probably leave out the SS and the GE until you get everything else working.

I found this in the KC-206 owner's manual on line. Maybe you missed this in your search :beerchug:

Attachments

• kenwood_kc-206_connection.pdf
    212.1 KB · Views: 6
there’s a more complete schematic that came with the rack system that includes all the system interconnection details, it’s an 11x17 foldout that came with the rack (separate from the individual component user manuals). let me know if you haven’t found it online, i’m running the same components (minus the surround processor) & can post a pic of the sheet if still needed.

Dropping in the wiring instructions in case someone comes searching later. SS-79 isn't shown here (it wasn't part of this original system), but the SS-79 instructions shown that the connections would be: KC-206 Tape Rec --> SS-79 In; SS-79 Out --> GE-76 Line In; GE-76 Line Out --> KC-206 Tape Play. (Essentially you just insert SS-79 before the EQ.)

I also discovered that that while the SS-79 instructions do not include KC-206 among the amps with a compatible remote control, when the SS-79 is plugged into System Control the KC-206 remote does in fact adjust the rear speaker volume.

IMG_9939.jpg

Back
Top Bottom