Help With Purchase of New AV Processor

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by kfalls, Sep 6, 2018.

1. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

The power supply in my Emotiva UMC-200 went out. They are out of production and Emotiva doesn't repair them anymore (also out of warranty). They have offered their MC-700 at a $300 discount, normally $699. I eventually want to go ATMOS, but not ready quite yet. What are your thoughts or opinions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Were my UMC-200 to have power supply problems I'd jump on the MC-700 at the discount price. FWIW: My UMC-200 was repaired once by Emotiva.

tcdriver likes this.
  3. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would wait to buy an ATMOS capable receiver until you are ready for the entire ATMOS setup. AV receivers become obsolete faster than you say "out of date".

4. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

Except for a receiver/processor, I have all I need for the upgrade. I have more than enough speaker and amplifier options. I understand how things change quickly. I made the mistake once purchasing a Lexicon CP1+ surround processor for $1500. Then Dolby Digital (AC3 at the time) came out with all discrete channels and full-range surrounds. I still have the Lexicon. I couldn't sell it for what it's worth to me.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

Was it for the power supply issue? I may purchase the MC-700 anyway just to get the deal. If it isn't what I'm looking for it can go back.

6. JoeESP9

With mine the problem was a couple of bad caps on the HDMI board. Emotiva repaired it for free under the warranty. I also have an XDA-2 (second generation). I'm quite satisfied with both.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

The minute I read your title I thought about maybe a pre-owned Denon, but there is no way a great pre-owned previous generation Denon can compete with the prices you are talking about.

8. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

I also have several Emotiva pieces as well as some of their cables. I have their UMC-1, XPA-5, ERM-1, ERD-1, A-100. For the most part, I've been happy with them (Except the whole UMC-1 debacle), but I feel they're pricing themselves out of the market. The XPA-5 is now more than twice the price I paid for mine. My major concern is the new processor will have the same software issues Emotiva has had with processors in the past.

9. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

A Denon is not a bad option. I've had Denon in the past and have been very happy with the sound. I'm still leaning toward the MC-700. At least for evaluation. If it's not to my liking I can always send it back.

10. JoeESP9

If I experienced the same problem with my UMC-200 as you I wouldn't hesitate to take Emotiva up on their discount offer on the MC-700. You can always return it if you're not satisfied.