1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Help with RCA console age and restoration

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Radio2112, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Radio2112

Radio2112 New Member

C91814F8-BC52-44F6-8B71-1775D47A33A3.jpeg 6848E937-24BF-4F99-B9AB-78259AA0E22E.jpeg 5201C03A-6D5B-4A81-8F6A-0197482FDF96.jpeg Hi everyone
    I’m a new member and I’m also new to old radios and getting into restoration of them.
    I don’t know the value of what I have and part of me wants to be able to functionaly use it but I also like the idea of cleaning it up and letting it be a non functional unit.
    I don’t see a model number on it or any kind of date marking, are they typically marked in a specific place?
    I appreciate any info and help
    Thank you

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ToxicTele

ToxicTele New Member

By the looks of the power cord - do not plug it in. The Radio Museum is a good second place to start (AudioKarma is always the 1st place). These units are not difficult to work on but do contain high voltage - be very careful. The amplifier should have a chassis stamp on it some where. You will need to pull the amp anyways to replace caps. Before you pull anything, snap pictures, lot's of them. Have fun, learn, share what you learn and don't be afraid to ask questions. Some really smart folks on this fine forum.

3. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Look inside the cabinet for a glued-on data sheet with make, model, patents, (lots of 'em)& a tube layout. Gotta be something in/on there. It'll likely need filter caps (the cans on top, between the tubes, tuner, xfmrs)& maybe a couple of coupling caps underneath. It may even work, AFTER power cord replacement. My '36 Zenith console still rocks the living room, recapped it decades ago. Good luck, post pics of the guts...

4. Radio2112

Radio2112 New Member

I appreciate the input. I will get some more pictures once I’ve undusted things a bit.

5. Big Harry

Big Harry Active Member

Do not power up that radio until all of the tubes have been checked for shorts and gas and at least the filter caps in the power supply have been replaced as by now they are guaranteed to be bad if they haven't been replaced in the last 20 or so years. With out at least doing those things, you are running a really big risk of doing major damage to things like an expensive power transformer. I've been restoring pre World War 2 radios for more years than I care to remember and very rarely have I had one that hasn't been used in decades have good caps in it. If you decide to restore it to working condition, give me the model number as I'm sure I have the service information for the radio. I'll be glad to scan it and send it to you. Your radio dates from 1940 or 41 and the value will vary depending on the model.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  6. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.