Help with recent yamaha stack I picked up.

warriorfan

Picked up a late 80's yamaha system a few days ago and looking for some info and even some guidance with it. It has two amplifiers and not real sure how it was all hooked up.

The amps are a natural sound av 55 and a htr 5550. So far I have verified that both amps indeed work by themselves after going nuts to find the av55 was missing the jumpers. Wow! Little thing will crank!

What I am wondering is, if these amps are used together? The previous owner said his brother had them both hooked up working as one. I am thinking one is for stereo duty and the other av.

I will get some pics up before the evening is over but wanted to ask if someone might know of these components. The av55 I am not finding much info on the interwebs. Thx much!

The AV55 is a two channel receiver with some video switching capabilities. The video side is virtually useless with modern AV gear. It has composite video only. Great if you have an old TV and a video console that has composite output only. Use it as a basic stereo receiver and enjoy it. The HTR 5550 is a 5.1 capable AVR. It can accept component video input and is capable of 1080i video resolution. If you have a DVD player with component video output and a tv that has component video inputs then you could use this to power a decent home theater. It doesn't have HDMI.

I don't know how or why you'd want to pair these up to use together but I suppose the AV55 could be used to power a zone 2 if the 5550 has zone 2 output jacks.

Thx knucklehead...I was mainly just curious as I was told it was used together. The av55 kicked my pretty vintage integrated amp with sweeps off the entertainment center for now. The htr5550 is gonna be someones garage sale find of the day.

Back
Top Bottom