Help with some tube unit IDs

cwh

Got a few tube items from my Saturday e-cycler haul. Actually went for the Rek-O-Cut table but brought home some stragglers.

I'm familiar with The little Pathfinder PA, got another kicking around here. Sitting behind the Bogen in pic.

The other two, what are we thinking?

Still looking forward to opening my brain to the tube world just gotta clear the mental space. Someday soon...

IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3333.JPGIMG_3332.JPG

Heathkit Williamson using two chassis: (a) on the left, is the power supply including a transformer and large choke, and (b) on the right, is the amplifier. Probably a W5-M.

Heathkit Williamson using two chassis: (a) on the left, is the power supply including a transformer and large choke, and (b) on the right, is the amplifier. Probably a W5-M.
Hey Retrovert. Cool, thanks for the ID. I'll do a search on them.

5881 indicates it is a W2, W3, W4. Just realized you have Acrosound transformer. That means it is a W3. So that's the manual you want.

I have the power supply from a W5-M or one of those similar units, hard to tell them apart, which is intended to power my WA-P2 preamplifiers when I have enough time to rebuild both it and them.

Here's a few shots after a little fur removal. Not mint but overall presentable. I was surprised to find the amp caked in so much grease. That leads me to ask?? Smells like an old electronics shop .

IMG_3342.JPGIMG_3340.JPGIMG_3341.JPG

Caked in grease? Maybe it was used in a sound system at a restaurant and it was located on a shelf in the kitchen.
Either way that's a very nice amp. Congrats!

BillWojo

Caked in grease? Maybe it was used in a sound system at a restaurant and it was located on a shelf in the kitchen.
Either way that's a very nice amp. Congrats!

BillWojo
Definitely from a home, most likely one owned by a University of California faculty. The "grease like substance" is visible in the underside pic. Coating the components, glob on the bottom of the potentiometer. I dunno? Like I said, smells of an old electronics shop. Not like the usual moldy dead rodent cat pee reeking gear I'm accustomed to.

CWH,
What you have is either a W3M or a W3AM. The W3AM is the later model which includes additional circuit refinements. I overlaid the schematics on top of each other for you to make it easy to recognize the revisions. The darker lines are the W3M. The changes that are shown slightly lighter are the W3AM.
W3M to W3AM.jpg
Hope this helps!
Bob in San Diego

Nice work on the id and the overlay showing the difference is outstanding.

Do you somewhere have that at higher resolution?

After posting that I saw your reference to @dcgillespie 's threads. (Fantastic!) -- and realized that the overlay I posted didn't provide as much help as it otherwise might have - if not for dcgillespie's excellent synopsis.

I haven't yet figured out how to post image files in the original resolution. If you'll PM me I will be glad to send you a detailed image of the overlaid schematics and the Heathkit manuals. I might even pick your brains on best routes or routes to avoid through the Bay Area as I am passing through there on a vacation road trip next week and the week after.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom