Help with speaker wire

Zackh2o

Just bought a nice pair of early 80's Belles in nice shape. All original wiring as far as I can tell. Going to run them with a Marantz 2330b which is being restored. What speaker wire should I use. Never had a pair of Klipsch before, the screw in the back which clams down on the wire is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe get one of those... what are they called "eye's" that you can put on the end of the wire? Like a spade end but round.

That will let you put the 12g wire on the terminal (presuming it's kind of thick)

Google "white lightning speaker cables".
Cheap, DIY, work just fine. If you want to get fancy, some braided sleeve and heat shrink, and they look like a thousand dollar set.
Fool your friends, tell them they are limited edition, with individual strands gold plated, then placed in the insulation one by one with genuine cobra oil from peacefully kept vegetarian only reptiles..
Seriously, the white lightnings do work well and are cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 38
A pair of $3 two conductor 12' extension cords are perfect; cut off both ends, verify polarity (one conductors' insulation will have a ridge you can feel, the other will be smooth).

I always used the original monster cable 12 awg. It was flexible, laid flat with out kinking, and was easy to deal with. I did buy the gold spade lugs for the speaker connections and gold crimping banana plugs to connect to the amp as a matter of convenience for easy connect disconnect. You don't need the connectors . I still use the same wire today, 37 years later. It never wears out. Did I say I tri amp and run two lines to the woofers. So thats a total of 168 ft of wire for the right speaker and 132 ft total for the left speaker. Thats 72 ft for the center bi amped speaker and 15 for the left rear, 27 ft for the right rear, and 48 ft for the bi-amped center rear. Now you see why I wanted something flexible, easy to handle, and with a long life. Our purchasing, shipping and receiving person thought I was crazy when I told him I needed a 500 ft roll.

Maybe get one of those... what are they called "eye's" that you can put on the end of the wire? Like a spade end but round.

That will let you put the 12g wire on the terminal (presuming it's kind of thick)

Best to use spade connectors. Some terminal block screws are crimped on the ends so they cannot come out of the body of the block, as would be required with ring terminals. I'm not sure which version Klipsch used, and I'm too lazy to walk across the room and check. But the spade terminals will work with either version.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom