Help with Teac 3340s Simul Sync Reel to Reel

MrBlue

I just scored a real nice teac 3340s It came with tapes but no manual. Its been kept in really nice condition. I have a few issues I was hoping someone on here could help me with.

a. When in Normal mode the left channel is great but the right channel is dark and muddy, no high end clarity

When I switch it to Simul Sync mode the right channel come back to crystal clear fidelity but the music is out of sync with the left channel.

b. It has what looks like an extra tension arm that I dont see in any of the other pictures online of this deck? Its on the right side just below the pinch and wheel. Is this an upgrade? Should it be part of the thread?

I have cleaned the heads and rollers. The audio sounds really good but I cant get both channels to full clarity and sync at the same time...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

teac3340.jpg

The extra lever is to monitor the recording check out the om at hifiengine
for the TEAC A-3440 it will explain the functionality.

I have a deck just like yours and it is original and has the Simul-Sync lever

Thanks... I did just that. Its the service manual. Helpful if I actually knew what was wrong perhaps. I think the owners manual would be a better start. Could it be Im not setting the tape thread up right?

ahhh ok... thats a slightly different model. Looks different but it does explain the cue lever... thanks

I cant see any explanation to help me with my main issue

no high end on right channel in normal playback, but it sounds fine in sync mode.

You know I only have outputs 1 - 3 hooked up to my preamp. I dont see or hear any music on tracks 2-4 so I assume the stereo tracks are simply on 1-3.

Am I missing something?

Make 100% sure that your play head (far right) is clean. Use a magnifier and strong light. Use acetone if need be to clean it.

If it's not a cleaning problem, then you have a shot (worn out) head. Teac may still sell new ones. Call them with the part number from the service manual. Have a good shop with RTR experience install and align it. Replace the record head as well.

In the meantime, you can use your record head for playback (put both switches in sync mode).

If a tape is recorded one way only, on a standard consumer 4track stereo deck, you'll hear sound on channel 1 and 3 only

If it was recorded on a 2tracks deck, channel 1 and 2 would be identical, so would 3 and 4

regarding your problem .... can you post a picture of the heads ?

Make 100% sure that your play head (far right) is clean. Use a magnifier and strong light. Use acetone if need be to clean it.

If it's not a cleaning problem, then you have a shot (worn out) head. Teac may still sell new ones. Call them with the part number from the service manual. Have a good shop with RTR experience install and align it. Replace the record head as well.

In the meantime, you can use your record head for playback (put both switches in sync mode).

Forgive me if this is a newbish response but I get clear audio out of both side at different settings. Does that track ever playback from a different area of the head?

I figured its a routing thing since the heads do give clear audio in L/R in different modes.

I just scored a real nice teac 3340s It came with tapes but no manual. Its been kept in really nice condition. I have a few issues I was hoping someone on here could help me with.

a. When in Normal mode the left channel is great but the right channel is dark and muddy, no high end clarity

When I switch it to Simul Sync mode the right channel come back to crystal clear fidelity but the music is out of sync with the left channel.

b. It has what looks like an extra tension arm that I dont see in any of the other pictures online of this deck? Its on the right side just below the pinch and wheel. Is this an upgrade? Should it be part of the thread?

I have cleaned the heads and rollers. The audio sounds really good but I cant get both channels to full clarity and sync at the same time...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

teac3340.jpg

For what it's worth... I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be that the switch itself was dirty. After a good cleaning the sound was fine on both channels. Wouldn't hurt to deoxit all switches.

If a tape is recorded one way only, on a standard consumer 4track stereo deck, you'll hear sound on channel 1 and 3 only

If it was recorded on a 2tracks deck, channel 1 and 2 would be identical, so would 3 and 4

regarding your problem .... can you post a picture of the heads ?

Ill post a pic when I get home

For what it's worth... I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be that the switch itself was dirty. After a good cleaning the sound was fine on both channels. Wouldn't hurt to deoxit all switches.

Mmmmm well that would be an easy fix...

Forgive me if this is a newbish response but I get clear audio out of both side at different settings. Does that track ever playback from a different area of the head?

I figured its a routing thing since the heads do give clear audio in L/R in different modes.

In normal mode, the deck uses the play head for playback.

In sync mode, the deck uses the record head for playback.

Your play head is either dirty or worn out (on one channel). You record head is fine since you say play sounds good when the switches are in sync mode.

Clean all switches and connectors first

I bought a 3340S and it had all sorts of audio and meter oddities that largely went away when I cleaned the switches and pots that I could easily reach. I'm going to go deeper into it and clean it electrically and mechanically. As many of us have seen, a good DeOxit job (or two or three) can solve many problems that looked complicated and/or expensive at first. The first cleaning doesn't always get all of the oxidation and grime so it's good to go back in again to be sure.

Try the easy stuff first. You might find that it does the trick!

Good News.... the detoxit to the switches worked. Both channels and all modes now working quite well. Big thanks to the thread contributors here. Really, you guys are awesome.

and here are the heads.... they sound great... not sure where they compare as this is my first reel to reel.... still look a little dirty to me...

LP007.jpg

LP005.jpg

Clean Heads

After you clean each head using basic cleaning solution(s) to remove top layers of spec-dust/dirt I would recommend to use "NOXON 7" to really clean the heads, give'em that nice clean shine, if you will. That stuff will remove all residue from the surface of each head. Its not expensive but will need to be applied a few times and really put your hands and elbows into it but after a couple times the shine will start coming through.

It appears the cue lever is up (under the pinch roller), which I would advise to bring it down to avoid loud sounds and possible extra head wear during fast winding. That is a nice machine, the last 3340S before it was replaced with the 3440.

Hello guys..common problem here...
To the 3rd channel only of my TEAC A3440: I record something(using source or sync output select)
I select then ''play output select''to hear the result....i have a very low volume...and the vu meter needle doesn't move ..very very low volume...and too much hiss...if i select the sync output ,i can hear my recording..but this is not normal.To ''play output'' ,all the others channels work great!!
Any advice?Should i take out the playback card on bottom for cleaning all the contacts?Should i replace the fuses on top?(they seem ok-the jumpers also at the back are in their place)
Thank you

Last edited:
Problems with Simul Sync switches

I apologize for resurrecting an older thread, but I've recently bought a TEAC 3340 (orig) and I'm having trouble with the SimulSync switches. Channel 4 seems to have a "microphonic" quality to it, where the meter literally jumps past redline when I barely wiggle the switch. Upon removing the switch circuit board, I can affect a large hum just by placing my finger in close proximity (but not touch it) to the switch casing (which is supposed to be grounded).

My guess is that one of the contacts or solder joints for ground is not proper. I've cleaned the switch numerous times but it isn't any better. In SimulSync mode, channel 4 works without any hum, but the levels of output are 50% of what they should be (and obviously out of sync with the other 3 tracks).

Thoughts? I probably should just pull that switch board and hit every contact with a soldering iron, just to make sure, but obviously I don't want to mess with the head stack (its still factory set).

Or perhaps I should just make a new circuit board and hardwire the heads without the simulsync switches entirely? I doubt I'd use them anyways.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom