Help With Technics CD Players Please :(

soundman2

OBSESSED WITH 80's MUSIC
HELLO EVERYONE!

I have two Technics SL-PG390 CD machines and I have recently changed the laser transports in both of them as I was having issues with playing CD's. Well, I am still having issues as one machine some discs will play through no problem and the on the second player it sticks/jumps and is generally being a pain. I am wondering if the laser focus needs tweaking on the first one and lubrication on the second. If I can't get these sorted I may have to take the drastic action of getting rid of both them and just use my Rotel player which is 26 years old and never had thing done do it.

Many Thanks in advance guys! :D

Thank you for the links to the CD player troubleshooting pages. Very interesting! :)

If you go through it and nothing helps, you can try messaging dr*audio; however, if you ask him a question that is clearly already answered in the thread and you haven't read through it first, he can sometimes be (understandably!) impatient! ;)

I think the problem is lack of lube on certain aprts so I have ordered a small tube of lithuim grease to use on the worm gear drive. I'll use some Singer sewing machine oil on the rail where the laser moves back and forth :).

Be sure of it! I am convinced lack of lube is the problem. I have fitted aftermarket transports and they do appear to be "dry" where lube is concerned.

I have lubed one player today. I used lithium grease on the worm gear applied with a cotton bud and I also lubed the rail with sewing machine oil. I always use a cotton bud for doing this I find it applies the oil without getting it all over the place. Early indications are favourable and I'm currently playing a CD-R I use for test purposes and so far so good. The machine didn't jump or skip where it did previously. The grease I have is brown in colour, but I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. Breath in and hope! :)

Thank you, Guiller! The lube on the new CD transport was lacking! They obviously think it's not important LOL!

Having lubed the essential parts of the CD transport I noticed something very odd about the spindle platter. It was warped very slightly making the disc wobble as it played and sometimes it wouldn't play as the laser couldn't focus properly. I fitted the original spindle platter and this cured the problem right away. I'll be putting the machine through it's paces today. It's a learning curve. :)

The machine failed it's playing test with flying colours by sticking again! I really don't know what do now, but I feel it's time to put these to bed and search for another CD player. :(

Back
Top Bottom