Help with Technics question (1300/1400/1500 vs 1600/1700/1800)

Adam88

Greetings AudioKarma crew-

I have referenced this site numerous times (there is a great wealth of information on here!!), but just finally created an account, as I am in the market for a Technics table and had a question for the board.

I have only recently (this year) gotten back into vinyl, and have had a freebee Sony spinning my old LP's for the past few months, but am enjoying vinyl (why did I ever leave??) and would like something a little nicer. I've gone back and forth between the following three table options for an upgrade: Audio Technica LP-120-USB, Pro-Ject Debut III, and the Technics models in the title of this thread - probably either a 1300 or 1600. I understand the differences between the 1300, 1400, and 1500, as well as those between the 1600, 1700, and 1800, but I cannot figure out the difference between the two lines (e.g. 1300 vs 1600) besides the years produced. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to chime in about the AT/Pro-Ject/Technics decision, as I am still undecided and will take all advice, especially from those with direct experience for a basis of comparison.

I had a SL1400 mk2, I bought new. Nice semi auto (auto return only). It had an Achilles heal, atleast for me. The tonearm lift linkage broke twice.

The 1300 et al, and the 1600 et al, are good tables. The 1600+ are more "Advanced" if you will. The problem may be just finding the models for sale. I have had or have a SL-1301, SL-1300MK2, SL1400, and a few belt drive Technics. I could live with the 1301, and the 1400. The 1300MK2 is a great table,, but just issues with the cueing. Decide what you want, Auto, Semi auto, or manual, and take it from there. As to the new tables on your list, the Technics should sound better.

By more advanced, do you mean they have different options/functionalities? Or the build quality/components? I couldn't really see any difference just looking at them, and if I remember right, they seem to spec out about the same.

I've watched side by side comparisons between the Audio Technica and the Pro-Ject, and the Pro-Ject won without a doubt on sound. But I couldn't find any direct comparisons (with same stylus, etc) between the Technics models and the AT or the Pro-Ject. All else being equal, I'd love the functionality of an auto, but not at the expense of sound. As far as manual, I'd prob be inclined to grab the Pro-Ject.

By more advanced, do you mean they have different options/functionalities? Or the build quality/components? I couldn't really see any difference just looking at them, and if I remember right, they seem to spec out about the same.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Casual observer would not have noticed the major difference, the SL-1600/1700/1800.....have user adjustable suspension.

A major plus in eliminating some type of footfall issues and some types of feed back issues. :)

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Casual observer would not have noticed the major difference, the SL-1600/1700/1800.....have user adjustable suspension.

A major plus in eliminating some type of footfall issues and some types of feed back issues. :)

Aha! Gracias Balifly. Just couldn't figure out what would have constituted new model numbers on those.

Back
Top Bottom