Help with Technics Sl-23 TT

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Daniel N, Mar 2, 2018.

1. NJAudioGuy

NJAudioGuy AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Technics SL-23 was my first serious turntable and I kept it 10 years (it served me very well). Purchased from Stereo Warehouse in Brooklyn - along with my Sansui 217 amp and tuner.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just cleaned up a SL-23 last week .... dirtiest spindle bearing I think I've seen (that wasn't seized solid). Oiled the motor and cleaned the pitch pots and 33-off-45 switch and all is good. But I've got another that does exactly as the OP's one does ... and an equivalent Panasonic model that works in 33 but doesn't spin in 45. So I'll have to dig into those.

I had a AU-217II and both a TU-217 and a TU-317 ... all with the elusive rack handles. Really liked them. Shouldn't have sold them I think.

3. rotco

rotco Member

Hi @Van_Isle
    Can you help me with the photos for reference?
    (You can see my request 2-3 messages above)

Thanks

4. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I sprayed Deoxit on the on/off switch and the 45 pitch control - no help. It still runs fine on 33 but slow on 45. Could it be a bad cap on the board? Any ideas?

Thanks.

5. Van_Isle

I'll take a look at mine & get you some pics.

6. Van_Isle

Did you deoxit the trimpots? And adjust them? Oil the motor?

Note most of the trimpots in this old equipment probably weren't the most high-quality items to begin with and sometimes just applying deoxit or similar to them will result in their final death. I've seen a number of threads where people won't even mess with them ... just straight-out replace them. But in my mind it's worth a shot giving them a clean.

Bobsblkwax likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax AK Subscriber Subscriber

Figured it out. I had to take off the circuit board that held the trim pots and adjust them. I didn't realize they were there.

All good now!

8. Van_Isle

Once you take the plunge and clean the trimpots .... you can put the board back on. There are holes through the board to allow you to adjust the speed. I prop the turntable up on a couple old speaker stands to gain access underneath. One of these days I'll make myself that Jim-dandy stand. Actually knowing me it will probably be more of a Red Green turntable stand .... gotta stock up on duct tape 1st.

Montycat likes this.