Help with upgrade please!

crackerbuzz

Hey there... I am looking to upgrade a vintage Yamaha A760 II integrated.

I would like to run the 'REC OUT' through the volume potentiometer so I can use it as a pre out.

Has anyone done this and any suggestions?

Thanks

Craig

What if you add a new pair of jacks and run from the output of the whole control section (right after the balance knob, maybe?)

Better idea: there are several designs for simple and cheap passive "preamps" here on AK. You can make one of those and run your REC output through it. The one I made took all of about 20 minutes.

WIll be driving a sub from the rec out. I DONT want crappy hi level speaker inputs into the sub. I tries it on a nother system and hi level in is really horrid

Ohhhhh I get it now. I can't think of a good solution for that except getting a sub that works better with high level in/out. What sub do you have? You may want to clean the speaker wire terminals on it with deoxit and even check for bad components if it is something where the high level shouldn't be "horrid".

I am really reluctant to use hi in. I tried both and the difference was phenominal. The RCA in was heaps more detailed.

I did run it off Speaker B though whilst the mains were off Speaker A???

Would that make a difference?

Cheers

Ohhhhh I get it now. I can't think of a good solution for that except getting a sub that works better with high level in/out. What sub do you have? You may want to clean the speaker wire terminals on it with deoxit and even check for bad components if it is something where the high level shouldn't be "horrid".

Tis a klipsch RW12. Very nice I must say.

It ha sa rec out on the front...

Off
phono
tape 1
tape 2
aux
tuner

BUT...

Only tape1 out and tape2out on the back???

I am confused, how does this work?

Cheers

Major lack of detail mainly and incorrect amplification of musical detail.

Just yuk really. When you think about it an amplifier should receive actual input via RCA, NOT a guestimated low pass signal through a speaker cable!

My belief is that it could never be as good as an RCA??

It's not ideal, but you should be able to get pretty darn close to the same sound with the high level inputs. Just to make sure, you should have 4 +/- speaker wires hooked up, one to each speaker, and two to the sub. Depending on how your amp is wired up, you may get better performance as A+B or running all wires from A. You have a variable crossover and variable phase on that thing, so if you get those dialed in you should get pretty good sound. You have to make those adjustments whether you use line level or high level, unless you are using the "direct" line level from an A/V receiver with a pre-crossed-over sub out.

Thanks for your help dumptruck...

I have just called my audio guru 600 miles north and he will custom build a pre-out on the REC OUT tape outputs direct from the pre amp stage and re-label them for me.

I will then have a proper pre out stage to drive whatever I like!:thmbsp:

I thought $80.00 was reasonable, so should have it back in a week!

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom