1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

Discussion in 'The Magazine Forum' started by Naptown Rob, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Dees06

Dees06 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

I honestly thought most punk was whiney self-endulgent puerile crap, I was so far out of that demographic by the time the Pistols and others came in I really couldn't relate to it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  3. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I remember the old spoken-word narratives Mr. Rollins used to give. Friend of mine attended one, said it changed his life.

I dunno......perspectives do change as we age. Dees06 I believe nailed it.

4. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

There it is, some I loved in the 70's doesn't necessarily get a lot of love now, even tho I was in my 20s moving into my 30s then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  5. marqueemoon

marqueemoon Gimme indie rock!

Ian Mackaye is the only on that surprised me a little, and as noted only because he hasn't done anything really conspicuous with it. It's hard to imagine what he might spend 25 million dollars on, and I'm sure he likes it that way.

With Rollins I feel like in part this fulfills his need to be a pundit on a new topic. I'm sure he enjoys the hell out of the system though.

6. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

Only here in good old AK land can a musician get lambasted for spending his hard earned paycheck on audio gear. What would we be saying if it were reported that dear old Mr. Rollins purchased his system from his local Goodwill? I'm sure that would bring out the critics as well.

As for the aesthetic qualities of his speakers of choice, I find the Wilsons to be quite attractive. I'd opt for a different color however. I'll be ordering a pair as soon as my ship arrives in port. It's been a long wait. :sigh:

cubdog

7. tomlinmgt

tomlinmgt Addicted Member

You never know, Henry might think the Wilsons are ugly as hell, have an audio snob stigma he's not particularly keen about and are a little on the expensive side, too... but doesn't give a rats ass because they make the music he enjoys sound absolutely fucking incredible which is all that matters to him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  8. dondoucette

dondoucette AK Subscriber Subscriber

Rollins has been a sellout tourist of an ideal his entire career, he talks the talk but that's it. Never been a fan.

9. tomlinmgt

tomlinmgt Addicted Member

Awesome. Then he's just another guy with an expensive system which I suppose doesn't, or at least shouldn't, make a bit of difference to you.

10. matteos

matteos Stereotype Subscriber

I loved Rollins show on the radio here in L.A. Not heard it for a while, but he always struck me as a music enthusiast. Not really listened to much of his music. .

But he's a musician first. Why wouldnt he have a kick ass stereo?

He's an interesting guy with a lot to say and he played a lot of good music.

Is it punk to be succesful? Maybe, maybe not. But he's not punk anymore. He's a successful guy that promoted good stuff on his show and had entertaining back stories. .

Same radio channel that had Johnny rotten as a DJ. It went to the web a few years back. Johnny Rotten had some awesome stories he shared to. Good music also.

Damn i wish that station hadn't gone off the air.

11. matteos

matteos Stereotype Subscriber

Also, yes.

I miss him too, not questioning mod policy as it seems you've got to do something pretty bad to get the ban hammer here.. it isn't doled out here for nothing, whatever he did he probably deserved. But i do miss his posts and for the longest time i thought his jack Nicholson avatar was in fact him. .

12. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

I wonder how much he spent on cables!

13. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

Everyone has to make a living. How do you make yours?

14. hjames

hjames beware of folks offering Cakes Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

See it?? I'd love to HEAR IT!

15. Naptown Rob

Naptown Rob Ponographer

Good Lord. Who resurrected this dead horse from September of 2013?

16. chadnliz

chadnliz Addicted Member

This annoys the hell out of me, explain what he should "walk" like? To be punk IMO was smart people playing dumb and smart people evolve, losers do not.

17. glen65

glen65 Member

The one just below you. And I hope Rollins spends another 200 grand, just to annoy the people making such a fuss about it.

18. tapedeck77

tapedeck77 New Member

If he has 200K to spend just on pissing off people on the Internet I would certainly hope that he has the brains to not do that.

19. glen65

glen65 Member

You're misinterpreting my post. I said nothing of his motive.

20. Dukiedook

Dukiedook Super Member

I guess true punk rockers are supposed to be destitute and penniless until the last breath they draw. Which rule is that? #26?