Herbies mat - intial impressions...

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
My Herbie's "Way Excellent II" turntable mat arrived yesterday, and I've given it about 2 hours of listening tonight. The table/ cartridge is a Thorens TD125 MKII and a Grado Silver. My first impressions are positive, though I think I need to hear more records I'm familiar with to make solid judgments.

Before I started using the Herbie's mat I played a song I'm very familiar with using my felt/carbon fiber mat, then re-played the same song with the Herbie's. Now, the only difference I can hear I would describe as an increased sense of "airiness," or perhaps "openness." That one thing is very noticeable, and it's a very nice improvement, it makes the music sound a bit livelier.

More to come after I've spent some more time with it. Anyone else have a Herbie's mat?

I've heard of them for quite a while but haven't taken the dive. Most people seem to appreciate the change. Another one that seems to get good reviews is the ring mat. I've thought about diying one for myself. Another project to get to someday :D Glad that you are liking it so far.

I use the RingMat for my Linn and I like it. I have read good things about Herbie's Mat. Might have to try one out some time.

RC

I auditioned the Anniversary Ringmat, on my Marantz, but I wasn't pleased with the relationship betweent the mat and my I-clamp.

The Herbie just got added to the short list of mats I'll be trying.

I auditioned the Anniversary Ringmat, on my Marantz, but I wasn't pleased with the relationship betweent the mat and my I-clamp.

The Ringmat's don't like the clamp. Any clamp for that matter. You just gotta go commando.

RC

I vacillated between the original Linn felt mat on my Sondek and the Ringmat...until I got my hands on one of Herbie's new mats....it's seen duty on the Sondek, my MicroSeki BL-51, and my Yamaha PX-3.....

I feel it beats the felt mats, the Ringmat, rubber mats, and a Fulton Kinetic Barrier...

Since I'm newly in the market for a TT mat - I may need to try "Herbie the love mat" out. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the update Mr. Lin!

Hey, I'll be interested to hear back about that since I use the I-clamp too.

I had a Herbie's Mat for quite awhile. Had very good results with my ProJect tables and not so good with my Rega's.

BTW I stopped using my clamp with the ProJect tables when using the Herbie's. Better results with the Herbie's than with the both or with the clamp alone.

Is the Herbies Mat similar the None Felt (I thinks that was what it was called) mat?

Reasonable price for both so that comparisons could be done with not having to drop a lot of cash.

The stock felt mat was pretty beat up when I got this table. I moved to the Ringmat right off the bat and was really didn't give the felt mat much time.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Herbies Mat. It might give the Ringmat a run for it's money.

RC

A mat is the next mod for my SL1400. Look forward to hear of the comments on the Herbies mat:)

I use the RingMat for my Linn and I like it. I have read good things about Herbie's Mat. Might have to try one out some time.

RC
I love the Herbies matt on my Thorens TD-126 MK II. But I do not find it to be the best match for my LP-12 (the bass was a little tighter, but a some of the "air" was lost). Likewise, I think that a felt matt does not sound nearly as good on my thorens. So, in my experience, what is best for one TT is not necessarily the best for another.

One of these days I'd like to try the ringmat on mine.

One thing that concerns me about using the Herbies with my Thorens is that I have to remove the 45 adapter from the center of the platter. The adapter is a little higher than the surface of the rest of the platter, so it makes the Herbie's mat surface uneven unless I take the adapter out. However, this leaves a hole around the spindle where the adapter used to be. Anyone know if this is likely to negatively affect the sound? Perhaps some putty is in order.

BTW I stopped using my clamp with the ProJect tables when using the Herbie's. Better results with the Herbie's than with the both or with the clamp alone.

Which Pro-Ject table are you using again? I'm definitely looking forward to trying this mat on my RM5, but that's going to screw up the VTA, and it took a lot of adjusting to find the Dynavectors "sweet spot."

How does one choose which Herbies to purchase??? I see the cd one is only a few bux is it worth buying as well?

I think it depends on whether your tonearm has adjustable VTA or not. If it does you just get the cheapest one, otherwise they recommend choosing one closest to the thickness of the mat you're currently using.

Back
Top Bottom