Here is a steal BIN on Ebay

Yup I have a few of those sitting on my shelf. Why? I have no idea what's so ever. Likey I picked them up for 5 bucks at the thrift store and I just give them to people that want to hear their old vinyl again. My wife's friend wanted to do that so she sponsored a new sytlus for one of these tables and off she went. LOL funny thing though. When you toss your LP setup tools on these tables it is typically an effort in futillity. One Sony I had well... the anti skate would not set at all according to my Shure test LP and the STF was over 3 grams. Cutting a path right through the dang record. I realize some stylus track heavier but gezzzzzz.

I was gonna say something myself, related to the fact that after hearing a properly adjusted Thorens TD-160 I don't think I could ever listen regularly to a mid-market turntable again. The lack of rumble & surface noise with the Thorens, the musicality, adjustable VTA, the solidity of a wooden plinth... there's nowhere to go but "up," and it means a really significant jump in price to do a whole lot better (I paid a bit over $40 for my TD-160).

In defense of the cheaper tables, I've found that the cartridge seems to makes the most difference in trackability with test records (but antiskating does appear to be done cheaply with many, often with nothing more than a metal spring on the underside of the arm).

Last edited:
I was thinking this would be a hell of a starter table for a new guy. There aint nuthing wrong with the SL-1300,1400,1500 Ect... pop a nice cart and let it rip.

Grumpy

Originally posted by grumpy
I was thinking this would be a hell of a starter table for a new guy. There aint nuthing wrong with the SL-1300,1400,1500 Ect... pop a nice cart and let it rip.

Grumpy
That's a good point too, especially at a "buy it now" price of $40.00. No freaky tweaking needed, "decent" plug & play sound. Agreed from that perspective!

Suprisingly enough...I have a budget Technics table out collecting dust now that I picked up a close out P mount Audio Technica cart from Garage Records some time back. Normally it was about a hundred dollar cart and I got if for something like 35 bucks if I recall. This table ran very well for what it was and it just proved to me that typically it's, cartridge, cartridge, cartridge...

As Moogfan said. It don't get close though to my tweaked out Thorens and SME arm now. That friggin thing is amazing how well it plays. It's so nice now to spin records and not hear problems aaahhhhhhh :guitar:

"amazing how well it plays. It's so nice now to spin records and not hear problems aaahhhhhhh"

Hmmmmmm sounds like a CD player :D

LOL I don't know Thor... Thank goodness though vinyl allows me the chance to fix the problems. I am stuck with the way CDs are... nuttin I can do to fix them, hence vinyl. <snicker> :lmao:

Originally posted by WildWest
LOL I don't know Thor... Thank goodness though vinyl allows me the chance to fix the problems. I am stuck with the way CDs are... nuttin I can do to fix them, hence vinyl. <snicker> :lmao:
What!? Where's your green marker pen? Where's the CD degausser, the aluminum foil treatment that reorganizes the molecules, the anti-static oil? The laser head demagnetizer, the miraculous $800 platform on which to sit the CD player, the 6 inch thick speaker cables? :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Don't forget the mpingo discs!!!
DOH!

All these years I thought vinyl sounded better than CD and never thought to implement mpingo! My CD's now sound more analogue than 8 track, have more warmth than an early Lingo and with an extra mpingo disc balanced on each shoulder my pulling ability has increased tenfold.

:grnbounce

The futures bright, the futures digital!

Vinyl it is...

ve,actually Shun Mook makes several products for vinyl playback--one is a record clamp or weight:
You're right! I bought the heavyweight mpingo weight, hand turned between the thighs of native girls, polished by a witchdoctor and packed in an ancient burial robe. My Lp's now sound better than real life and warmer than a day trip to Hades - my mpingo'd CD sounds like a tranny in a biscuit tin in direct comparison so I threw the lot in the nearest skip.

:uzi:

The futures analogue!

Seriously - I've been playing with my new toy today - a Meridian 506.20 CD player. I've already got a S/H clock mod coming to try out and I've been through all my old cables finding the best match. To tell the truth it sounds pretty good! So good I've started to mount my project Rega arm on my record deck, it made me want to directly compare the sound - impressive stuff and great fun.

Back
Top Bottom