(here we go)....RSII refurb

Jonesy09

First off, thanks to Evan for building my appetite for the vintage Infinity sound and Ed for feeding the monster. Next, I have to admit that this thread won't be nearly as satisfying as advertised. I was going to wait until I was done, but just couldn't. I'm sure you all understand. Besides, I'm sure I'll need guidance from the experts along the way.

The RSII's came to me in relatively decent condition. The cabinets seem to only need a good cleaning and wax. They are missing the rear tweeters but all the mids are present and in good condition. The woofs all need foam of course but seem to be in otherwise good shape. A preliminary plug-in at low volume confirmed the EMIT's are working and there are no major issues as far as I can tell, although the lowest midrange on each speaker seems to have a lower output than the rest.

My foams came in today so I started pulling drivers out. I will likely get around to testing resistance on everything very soon. My first inclination is to get the woofs done, get them back in and see what they do. But I'm torn between getting them up and running quickly and pulling everything off and possibly re-capping and refurbing the cabinets. What would you do?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• RSII 001.jpg
    RSII 001.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 409
  • RSII 006.jpg
    RSII 006.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 386
  • RSII 007.jpg
    RSII 007.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
I am excited for ya!

Refoam the woofs first and put them back together. The crossovers are not exactly easy, it turns into quite the mess LOL.

Clean ALL terminals with deoxit and clean them up well. Anything with a metal contact should be shiny. I noticed an immediate improvement.

Do one crossover at a time, you will need the other for guidance.

Evan

BTW, whenever your ready lemme know and Ill bring my grills by.

Jonesy,

Where did you get your foam for the woofers?
I have recently got the same speakers from a thrift for peanuts ( or less). Anyway I am in the same stage as you. Your cabinets look better than mine. The lower edge of mine are all buggered up by some hack dragging them on the ground. The wood is all chipped along the front bottom edge.

Anyway I will follow you along the way and post some pics as I go.

you might find the midranges have different outputs because they are crossed over at different frequencies, IIRC. if you can find the spec sheet, you'd know. there could be a different reason for the mismatched output, though.

chris

Good luck with your rehab. Glad that they went to someone who will bring them back to the condition they deserve. :thmbsp:

Jonesy,

Where did you get your foam for the woofers?
I have recently got the same speakers from a thrift for peanuts ( or less). Anyway I am in the same stage as you. Your cabinets look better than mine. The lower edge of mine are all buggered up by some hack dragging them on the ground. The wood is all chipped along the front bottom edge.

Anyway I will follow you along the way and post some pics as I go.

Wow, nice thrift find. :thmbsp:

I got these foams from the bay (simply speakers). They seem to be a decent outfit but this order was short one pair. I've emailed them and am waiting for a response. The foams for my RSe's arrived in timely fashion and both orders came with the special glue you need for the polycones and a nice set of instructions.

It'll be cool to have a dual resto-thread going. Twice as many pics!

do refoams. wait to do any recaps, lots of effort may not really add much to sound Good luck they are great speakers

BTW do not use the crappy speaker wire you show in your photo to connect RSII 's to amp,. Also amp with large current capacity is needed. Small amps like on receivers will cause EMITs to blow

BTW do not use the crappy speaker wire you show in your photo to connect RSII 's to amp,. Also amp with large current capacity is needed. Small amps like on receivers will cause EMITs to blow

The wire in the pic was for a make-shift antenna. The initial test was done with 13ga Monster cable with 'naners. I think Monster is overpriced usually, but not when it's free. :D

The test amp was a Carver PM-175 and I have a 1201 on standby if that's not enough. That should be plenty of current.

Thanks for the link the schematic. I've been looking for that EMIT part #.

any emit that looks like the ones in your speaker will work they are usually on e-bay they were used in lots of vintage infinitys

Small time progress report

Two drivers foamed. Two cleaned and waiting foam. Been damn busy so progress is slower than hoped. Regardless, I thought this pic was a nice illustration of the foaming process.......and something to keep this thread alive :D

Old foam -> No foam -> New foam

attachment.php

Attachments

• random.jpg
    random.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Midrange driver order?

I have all the drivers pulled on the first unit to spread some Howard's and fancy-up the cabinets. While the three midrange drivers lay there on the table I was wondering if there was any advantage/disadvantage to re-arranging the order. I labeled them so I know what went on the top, middle and bottom, but I was curious if it made a difference in what order they go back in. Are they all crossed at the same frequency? If not would it benefit one or two to do different duty for a while?

I have all the drivers pulled on the first unit to spread some Howard's and fancy-up the cabinets. While the three midrange drivers lay there on the table I was wondering if there was any advantage/disadvantage to re-arranging the order. I labeled them so I know what went on the top, middle and bottom, but I was curious if it made a difference in what order they go back in. Are they all crossed at the same frequency? If not would it benefit one or two to do different duty for a while?
It won't make much difference what order you put the EMIMs back in, as they are all the same and are completely interchangeable. They are crossed over at different frequencies, however. The upper and lower EMIMs are crossed over a little differently than the center mid, and their output is slightly reduced as well compared to the center driver.

The foamy spongey gaskets are awesome on, especially after refoaming speakers with the paper kind with the glue that is way to strong that makes you end up spending 4 HOURS to clean it off!

Back
Top Bottom