(here we go)....RSII refurb

thanks for those links, evan - that's pretty much the route i was thinking about going for most of the cap choices. so did you decide to keep the 600uF cap or sticking to the official schematic?

Well, I'm committed now (or should be committed some would say). Got home from Madisound with the suggested parts. Here's whats going into the bi-amp capable version of the new crossovers - thanks to cdfac (I'll get the parts in the mail tomorrow).

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
oops, are there a couple more Bennic poly's hiding somewhere? i think we're missing a pair of Bennic 12uF's and 6.8uF's. if so, it's mostly my fault. i should've made the parts list more clear once you said you wanted to do all the upgrades that i highlighted on that spreadsheet.

as Jonesy mentioned, we're going to make the II's biampable. we're using my spare XO boards and mounting the rebuilt upper circuits on them, with the plan of ultimately resting these boards on the top of the woofer cab - sort of a poor man's version of Maxamillion's IIb external XO project. the inductors were moved to the corners for isolation, and each corner will also have a padded standoff so it can be laid down and connected to the drivers via short runs of Kimber Kable. meanwhile, the electrolytics for the woofers will be replaced in the original board, and the connections for the upper circuits will be disconnected so they have no residual effect whatsoever. the starting point for the new crossovers:

DSC00735.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

and here's the basic mockup. in the gap will go a barrier strip for connections to the drivers.

DSC00739.JPG

That looks great Chris. I can't wait!

I'm assuming I'll be able to build a box around those fitting around the outside perimiter of the board, yes? It looks like everything is glued down to the board so there shouldn't be an issue with the board's components 'hanging' from the top of the box, correct?

yep, you've got some flexibility. i can send along some steel standoffs to use in each corner while you decide what to do.

Another incrimental progress post

Thanks to Evan (once again) the woofer boards are now done. I was able to see the master at work and probably learned enough to not have that trip to the ER next time I fire up the soldering iron.

Yeah, I know, the leads are missing. I'll have to rewire them. All I can say is.....the 'moretite' tweak works great for sealing drivers to cabinets. Especially if you never want to remove them again. Ever.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Well the the outboard XO's arrived is very quick fashion and in good shape. Other than having to re-glue the big Solens and one of the Claritys on each board everything else looks intact. These are redundant, but what the hell.

My wire and such should be here tomorrow. Now it's time to get to assembling! :thmbsp: Oh wait, I guess I'd rather work the next 16 out of 24 hours then leave town for the weekend. :thumbsdn:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Sir Byrd has pics of progress in his resto thread.....I have pics of parts. I've amassed everything I need to get these babies up and going and as yet have made no progress.

We came back from our weekend excursion today and I found my box of stuff from Madisound waiting on the table (graciously put there by the dog-sitter). Besides other stuff for the TT project I have going I recieved some Supra Classic 1.6 15 ga wire for making the connections from the XO's to the drivers, a pile of new quick connectors, new foam tape to replace the old crubly stuff on the woofer boards that are going back into the cabs, and the big ol' Yung black chrome spikes. I got three per speaker figuring two up front and one on the post in back ought to anchor these nicely.

Unfotunately, I'm couch bound due to a foot injury during the weekend festivities. I suppose I could always have the kids bring me tools and parts. "Boy, bring me that soldering iron!"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1972.jpg
    IMG_1972.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Well, everything is finally back together and the verdict is........

No freaking right tweeter output! :dammit:

I've swapped all the EMITs from rear to front and left to right. The right EMITs just aren't firing. A cursory comparison between the left and right XO's didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. No obvious loose connections, shorts, or bad solder joints. I'm totally stumped.

:headscrat

The left sounds great!

crap. i didn't have any spare drivers to test the XOs with before i shipped them back, but i triple-checked the wiring and didn't see anything weird. originally there were some major wire-routing differences between the two when i found a better way to do the second one, but i went back and made them essentially the same. can't help thinking it still must be something i messed up, though. :scratch2: do you have a DMM with continuity-testing mode? that's a first step to doing comparisons between the left and right tweeter circuits. the layout is simple: from the positive post to the fuse (have you checked that?), then to the 12uF cap marked "T", then it branches with the teeny inductor shunted to the negative post and the other wire going to pot and then to the tweeters, with the return wire from the tweeters going back to the negative post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom