Here's $5000, Help Me Assemble My First Tube System!

4-2-7, thanks for pointing me to the Audioengine DAC. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Added to the system.

As far as amps go, I've spent some time today mulling over my various options and trying to rank the features that are most important to me.

I think I'm officially ruling out vintage. I have no doubt that any piece of Mac equipment is a better unit than any of my other options. I have a real hangup for vintage gear and 12 months ago I probably wouldn'tve even considered buying modern but what can I say? My mind changed the more I read.

The people who bought those Macs and Marantzes new 50 years ago must've felt pride in knowing they were purchasing some of the finest stereo equipment currently in production. Why shouldn't I do the same? As I read about this gear and the folks who make it, I realized how important it is to me that I use my money to support what they do. Corny I know, but that's how I feel.

That leaves mostly the integrateds that many have recommended to me - the Line Magnetic 211 or 216, the Rogue Cronus Magnum, the Psvane TC5, or maybe a Jolida. The Chinese products are very tempting. As Woody pointed out to me yesterday, if the Chinese can make a 3116 chip amp for $70 out the door, what can they do for $1500? And is that $1500 Chinese product the equivalent of a $2400 American-made product? Would I be getting the same level of quality and workmanship from each amp? If so, is it worth an $800 premium to buy American? Maybe it is, for the same reasons I'd prefer to buy modern gear - I want to support the people who make this stuff. It's really cool that some of you suggest calling up Eric from Tekton to talk about the Lores. That sounds like a guy I want to buy from.

Honestly the Dennis Had amps really appeal to me. He just put another amazing-looking one up this afternoon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBE-AMPLIF...147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item235072921b

It's not a matter of it being a "boutique" item, with the rarity and novelty that term implies. I don't care if he can make 200 of them each week. The guy makes them by hand using his decades of experience - again, that sounds like someone I want to buy from. Unfortunately, the power just isn't there - that amp above is 2wpc!

So that's sorta where I'm going. Sorry for the personal philosophy lecture - I guess I'm hijacking my own thread. :scratch2:

Hey olex, it sounds like you're moving toward more contemporary options (and I've found myself doing that in some ways too), but I thought I'd throw this out there to you:

Austin Stereo had a Conrad Johnson MV-75 for sale the last time I was there. I've no experience with CJ tube amps, and the conversations around them seemed to be mixed. But, if you haven't completely moved away from vintage options, it's something that you could listen to in the shop if you're curious about it. I picked up a Marantz 2330 from them last year and have been very pleased with it.

In any event, I'm fairly green when it comes to this obsession, but thought it worth mentioning as another avenue of exploration for you. I'm sure others here can provide a more experienced opinion of how it might mate with the Tekton's, etc. Good luck with your system building and enjoy the ride!

4-2-7, thanks for pointing me to the Audioengine DAC. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Added to the system.

Yep and do you own research also as to weigh opinions. It has a very good sound quality similar to my McIntosh D100. If you use your computer opposed to your mobile devices you don't have to worry about charging since you want to go out USB ports.

Hey olex, it sounds like you're moving toward more contemporary options (and I've found myself doing that in some ways too), but I thought I'd throw this out there to you:

Austin Stereo had a Conrad Johnson MV-75 for sale the last time I was there. I've no experience with CJ tube amps, and the conversations around them seemed to be mixed. But, if you haven't completely moved away from vintage options, it's something that you could listen to in the shop if you're curious about it. I picked up a Marantz 2330 from them last year and have been very pleased with it.

In any event, I'm fairly green when it comes to this obsession, but thought it worth mentioning as another avenue of exploration for you. I'm sure others here can provide a more experienced opinion of how it might mate with the Tekton's, etc. Good luck with your system building and enjoy the ride!

Thanks, Jace121. I used to live right down the street from Austin Stereo - they are great guys with a great selection.

After my big soapbox speech ruling out vintage (or "old" ) I'm already walking back from it because there's a Mac 110Z over in Barter Town and damn do I want it!

Thanks, Jace121. I used to live right down the street from Austin Stereo - they are great guys with a great selection.

After my big soapbox speech ruling out vintage (or "old" ) I'm already walking back from it because there's a Mac 110Z over in Barter Town and damn do I want it!

Yep I had seen that right after your post of the said soapbox speach:D

Ok this is what I see, you not setteled as to saying this will be a system Im going to keep and not explore the next thing that I see.

I'll say it again buying used in demand McIntosh gear you will not loose your investment when the urge comes to switch to something else. And most likely at that point it will be more mac gear.

Some of this other gear your looking at will surly be a 50% lose if you want to move on.

I went though all this before I bought my mac tubes and thats why I settled on them.

I am not afraid of flea watts and I like monitors, so on paper this combo appeals to me.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm
http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM945.html
Target MR24 stands - total overkill bit they are badass IMO

Folks here seem to think pretty highly of the Audio-GD stuff. I'd probably go for the DAC-19 at $750.

That leaves a grand or so. I would probably spend $300 or so on cables and set the rest aside for room treatments, electrical work, furniture, or adding a sub if I decide I need it.

"And I actually bought my Tekton Lore's from Sebrof"

Ang why did he sell them?

He also was participating in this thread but made no recommandation or even agreed with you when you brought them up...:scratch2:

Most of the time when someone sells off their gear they found better, didn't like them, didn't fit their system well.... I got a room full of gear like that not in use because of all the same resaons....:scratch2:

Not that you asked why I sold them... But it was only cause I moved and I didn't have a room for that system... I was "gear rich" as it were. The other reason is cause I got them used from Sebrof and I really want a pair in a nice walnut or cherry veneer. Mine (ours) were the basic black and I felt like they deserved to look as good as they sounded.

I will own another pair of Tektons, I actually have a set of Tekton 4.5's on my desk at my office. But now I'm leaning toward Pendragons since I have a huge space now.

As to the rest of your statements about me I'll just chill as not to stir up any more controversy.

- Woody

I saw that. Looks like a nice one.

Ok the preamp position has been filled. Mac 110Z from Barter Town.

I am still committed to the Tekton Lores for speakers. They're getting ordered in a few days, so if anyone sees a reason why these two should not be wed speak now or forever hold your peace.

DAC is settled too. That leaves the amp. Let's get creative and say somewhere between $500-$1K. Tube or SS. Old or new. Also, I was listening to my 60w chip amp yesterday at ear-splitting volume and it was probably only halfway to max-out so I really doubt I NEED 100w.

Basically the only restrictions now are price and compatibility with the rest of my system. I'm all ears :)

New @ $1,200 and 25 watts, with the Lores this would be plenty of power for me and I think almost anyone. Rock solid reliability, excellent customer support, and made in the US of A (that's important to me, may not be to you).

http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/mini_old.html

I have a pair of their M-60 monos, 4 EL34s a side and 60 watts. You can get them used for $1,000 pretty routinely.

I'm not familiar with the Mac stuff, but I'd say if you can find one in your price range it should be a good match for the speakers and certainly for the preamp (congrats on the preamp, btw).

Just a few suggestions, by no means am I suggesting anything else is a bad choice.

Ok the preamp position has been filled. Mac 110Z from Barter Town.

I am still committed to the Tekton Lores for speakers. They're getting ordered in a few days, so if anyone sees a reason why these two should not be wed speak now or forever hold your peace.

DAC is settled too. That leaves the amp. Let's get creative and say somewhere between $500-$1K. Tube or SS. Old or new. Also, I was listening to my 60w chip amp yesterday at ear-splitting volume and it was probably only halfway to max-out so I really doubt I NEED 100w.

Basically the only restrictions now are price and compatibility with the rest of my system. I'm all ears :)

Congratulations. :thmbsp: Cannot go wrong with the MX110 and the tuner section is no slouch either.

As long as you've jumped that far, may as well go the whole hog with a complimentary and equally regarded McIntosh MC2100. Rated at 105 wpc by Mc, but in the real world, that model is typically good for 145 wpc while still remaining under 1% THD.

The MC2100 is the last McIntosh amplifier* with the older chassis design like the tube models and since MC 2100 production overlaps the MX110, you would have two perfectly compatible pieces.

Being that it doesn't have the meters of its electrical twin MC2105, it is significantly less expensive and can usually be had for well under $1,000 - depending on condition naturally.

Also worth mention is the MC2100 is designed for mono-parallel operation whereas the MC2105 is not. This means that you can always add another 2100 if more power is desired - effectively giving you ~ 300 wpc.

*Not including later MC275 reissues.

Last edited:
Congrats on the decisions made so far, Olex. This is gonna be a nice system.

- Woody

What kind of money do you have left. Cart and staging since you listen to records, whatcha got?

Technics 1200 Mk II phono with an AT120ET cart. Wasn't planning to upgrade either. They've always served me well.

Congratulations. :thmbsp: Cannot go wrong with the MX110 and the tuner section is no slouch either.

As long as you've jumped that far, may as well go the whole hog with a complimentary and equally regarded McIntosh MC2100. Rated at 105 wpc by Mc, but in the real world, that model is typically good for 145 wpc while still remaining under 1% THD.

The MC2100 is the last McIntosh amplifier* with the older chassis design like the tube models and since MC 2100 production overlaps the MX110, you would have two perfectly compatible pieces.

Being that it doesn't have the meters of its electrical twin MC2105, it is significantly less expensive and can usually be had for well under $1,000 - depending on condition naturally.

Also worth mention is the MC2100 is designed for mono-parallel operation whereas the MC2105 is not. This means that you can always add another 2100 if more power is desired - effectively giving you ~ 300 wpc.

*Not including later MC275 reissues.

What about the MC250? I thought this was the best sounding in this line and a secret sweet spot.

At their price he could get two and bridge them mono @ 100WPC, and would be seperating the channels between the amps.

olex, check out souladdikt's thread in this forum. There are some nice photos of his Tekton Lore Reference speakers.

cubdog

What about the MC250? I thought this was the best sounding in this line and a secret sweet spot.

At their price he could get two and bridge them mono @ 100WPC, and would be seperating the channels between the amps.

General consensus seems to hold that MC 250/2505 & MC 2100/2105 sound essentially similar. Since the 2100 is only a few hundred dollars more than the 250, I figured better to err on the side of caution with an extra 3 dB headroom the bigger amplifier would provide - otherwise you are correct - MC 250 would likely suffice as well.

FWIW - My 90 dB/W/m Boston T1000s are perfectly happy with the MC 2505 @ 50w (realistically closer to 70w).

In any case, I don't think the OP could go wrong with any of the 4 models above. It should be kept in mind however, that the metered models cannot be run in mono parallel.

Had a chat with the guy in Austin Stereo this afternoon, ended up walking out with a pretty cheap refurbed Dynaco ST-150. 75wpc, supposedly a very neutral amp that will provide some good power without getting in the way of the MX-110Z's sound. Might give me just what I need, and if not I shouldn't have much trouble unloading it and trying something else.

Started to worry a bit that I'm assembling a system composed entirely of components I've never heard before. I'm obviously committed to the Mac and Tektons so I want to try something simple between them. If the Dyna is lacking something then I'll know what to look for and can then conduct a more informed search. Or maybe it'll be great in which case I've managed to assemble a great system for much cheaper than I anticipated. Looking forward to it either way.

Back
Top Bottom