Here's why a Bugatti Veyron oil change costs $21,000

Puhlease - if you own a Veyron, a $20k oil change is not any kind of real worry.

Woman in our church is an MS rep in the area - had a series of fun cars over the years.
I think the last exotic was a Maserati convertible. She finally traded that one in for some kind of high end Beemer (forget the model)
mostly due to crazy maintenance visit fees like that -
I think she said her Maserati oil change/service visits were upwards of a grand each time!

I think the last exotic was a Maserati convertible. She finally traded that one in for some kind of high end Beemer (forget the model)
mostly due to crazy maintenance visit fees like that -
I think she said her Maserati oil change/service visits were upwards of a grand each time!

I briefly owned a Ferrari (not a new one), so I can relate. Always wanted one, and found a perfect used one (one owner, super-low miles, dealer serviced) for less money than the brand new TOTL Vettes I was shopping at the time. I had no major issues with the car, but every "little thing", including seasonal maintenance was over $1K and the nearest dealer was pretty much 2 hrs away in any one of 3 directions, and don't even think about taking it anywhere other than a dealer. It was fun, but not worth the annual upkeep.

Article makes an interesting point that the service represents 1.4% of the MSRP of the Veyron. For a car costing 20,000, that would be proportional to $280.

My any measure, that's an exorbitant amount of change for a routine maintenance item for a car.

I bought a Toyota about 16 years ago which came with free lifetime oil changes.
Honestly even before I moved further they were 40 minutes away and I took it locally and paid.
That car cost slightly more than the V oil change.
As impressive as it is and it is indeed impressive, i think i little more thought could've went into design with service in mind.
After all, it will need service.
Aside for not having 1.5M to spend on a car, another reason not to own one ;)

The whole price of an oil change based on the percentage of the car's MSRP is a bit strange. Services to vehicles is calculated by hour rates.

Assuming a $100/hour rate, this is a 210 hour oil change...what?!

Maybe there are some very specialized...bolts and drain plugs? on this thing? At $200/hr, this is still a 105 hour oil change.

So the question is still - "Why does a Bugatti Veyron oil change cost $21 000?

A Bugatti tech is probably making a lot more than $200/hr. There’s probably also not that many of them.

McLaren only has one tech in the United States certified to work on the F1. With scarcity like that, he’s got to be making a lot more than your average, run of the mill mechanic.

The whole price of an oil change based on the percentage of the car's MSRP is a bit strange. Services to vehicles is calculated by hour rates.

Maybe there are some very specialized...bolts and drain plugs? on this thing? At $200/hr, this is still a 105 hour oil change.

Maybe they do more than change the olio, perhaps gaskets and other parts are involved ...
There is, no doubt, a wallet cleansing inherent in the dealer process. ;)

Try telling the buyer of a $20,000 car he's on the hook for $280 every 3,000 - 5,000 miles and it'll be plain to see how "strange" it is. :rolleyes: Nobody likes to be taken for a fool of regardless of how wealthy.

Did you read the article? Body panels need to be removed to access all 16 of the drainage access areas.

Meh. It sounds like you just have to remove some plastic parts and find 16 drain plugs. Sounds about like changing spark plugs on a minivan.

I'd have that bitch up on cinder blocks in front of my house with 16 drain pans under it! LOL

Good God! The guy was Upside Down on the engine! What if he dropped a bolt down into the Place Impossible??

Easy......

Disconnect the coil packs so the engine won’t accidentally start, then pull the dipstick and push a tube down the dipstick hole because the dipstick measures at the lowest point of return for the oil. So sucking the oil out with a pump will remove most of the oil. Then with the coil packs disconnected and spark plugs removed turn the engine over so the engines dry sump oil pump transfers the rest of the oil to the crankcase where the dipstick is and pump out the rest.

I’ve had to use a plastic tube and a pump to remove oil from many difficult engines too include while in the military.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom