Hey, Bub - Ya Want These Things? Why, Yes, Thank You.

gdmoore28

Just another of those speaker find tales. A friend makes very good money cleaning out foreclosed houses, storage buildings, and old estates. He'd just finished up one of the latter when he sent word that there were some "old speakers" on the trash trailer he was about to dump. "If you want them, go get them." Here's what I found.

First was a rather large, well-constructed corner speaker with a coax speaker. Here it is, and what's inside:

EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 014.jpg EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 015.jpg
EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 021.jpg
The EV 15TRXB surprised me with the amount of bass it produced. It tended to be touch boomy, so the box needs some adjustment, but this sucker can go much lower than I thought. Midrange is a little weak, but the high frequencies are very sweet and present. If I was going to build a system around this coax, I think I would make it a true 3-way by adding a mid range driver of some kind.

The other rescue came in the form of two very old DIY cabinets, very faded, and built like tanks around some kind of transmission line design.
EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 012.jpg EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 013.jpg EV and Pioneer Speakers from Nick 022.jpg

These two speakers really surprised me. I wasn't expecting the amount of bass they produced at all. They have clear, present mids, and a sweet, rolled-off treble response that makes them very inviting and cozy to listen to. Who knew that these old Pioneers were capable of this sound? Not me.

The final item in the trailer was the old Bogen tube amp you see atop the EV cabinet. It's very clean inside. Haven't fired it up yet, of course, so don't know whether it works, or not.

Anyway, that's my accidental finds of last week. What could be next?

GeeDeeEmm

Love that creaky, old audio. And, the next time something like this pops up again, you'll be his first call.

Biggles

Cool Story GDM!

Gotta love those old drivers that come with handles ;)

index.php

:)

Last edited:
Dayum! Cool gear! That Bogen a mono? Was it with the single enclosure for a mono setup?
Love to see finds and stories like this!
Glenn

I had an experience that started out similar- my in-laws live next to a guy who does clean-outs too. My sister-in-law calls me "hey, there's these huge speakers next to the neighbors burn pit, if you want them, he'd probably just give them to you... Hang on a sec, I can get a little closer, looks like it says 'infinity' on the front". So I race over there, and she had already talked to the neighbor and he said I could have them.

I get back to the pit and see the speakers. They are a pair of Sm-155, but they are SHOT. 3 of the 4 mids are ripped, both tweeters poked/torn, both woofers not only had no foam, but the edges were ripped. So I managed to save ONE 4" mid. I sold it on ebay and it paid for my gas, lol.

Did I mention that your score was SOOO much better than mine? But what you picked up was the type of stuff I was dreaming about on my drive over. Yours just worked out and mine didn't, lol.

I need better friends. The only time my friends call me is when they need to borrow money.

:jump:

the Pioneers and the EV are both nice drivers.
MR shouldn't be weak in the 15TRXB (even though it's "just" provided by a whizzer cone).

I'm unsure of what I'll do with these. I have so many speaker project possibilities stored away that I'll never get to them all. I wish I wasn't so impressed by them. Especially the Pioneers, which were a big surprise. And, they already live in well-worn, but very good TL cabinets that seem to take great advantage of their characteristics.

The EV also inhabits a well-built cabinet, but the fifteen inch version of the TRX is not only hard to find, but not cheap, either.

I'll have to put these choices off for another day.

GeeDeeEmm

I like how Pioneer put handles like an old Western Electric speaker. You did well! My advice is sell them all.. lots of people getting into tubes need efficient speakers, and none of those will hold a candle to what in your avatar.

If it helps you any GD, I would be willing to take the Pioneers off your hands to help aid in the cost of the Electro-Voice project. What else are friends for? :dunno:

Great finds, that dang EV should go low in that big ol cabinet. I love to be impressed by gear that appearance wise should not be so good.

Back
Top Bottom