1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Hey! Ever wonder why there's no SONY forum?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Quadman2, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Quadman2

Quadman2 Addicted Member

Anyone like me who has wondered why there's no sub forum within the "AK Manufacturers Forum" for SONY?.

Sony has put out prob more than some of the manufacturers listed and has been in the game for years and still is unlike some of the other brands.

Just wondering.:dunno:

Q

Bill Ferris, Audioraven and RedSquare like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall AK Subscriber Subscriber

No cult following.

bluesky and Tom White like this.
  3. Dazaa

Dazaa Super Member

Same can be said for Technics.

4. prisoners

prisoners AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have two systems based on Sony ES gear. Maybe not the absolute TOTL but I prefer it to almost everything else in the solid state options.

5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Same can be said for Realistic.

Bruno Primas, Bdbras84 and Bodyblue like this.
  6. chodad

chodad Well-Known Member

Just bought a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers. They're very impressive.

Tom White likes this.

7. Quadman2

Quadman2 Addicted Member

I hear ya. There's always been a SONY something around, either portable or in house...and with the many many models out there, I'm still amazed at the way Sony always seems to bounce back as in their TV's/new tech.

Q

8. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

They didn't make that much stuff.

Working on a couple TA-3200F amps right now. Great units and flexible with power limiter, input selector, input level controls, and speaker selector switch for two sets and off. My first preamp was the matching TA-2000, not F (fluted knobs). Also have a couple PS-X* that have been put back in shape. Nice turntables. Using Sony NAB adapters on my Crown tape deck, too. And I'm not even counting the CDC, CD/MD units, my first CDP, a discman or the STR-V4 sitting over there.

I think we already have enough forums. Because where would I discuss the PS-X units? TT or Sony? Right now I know they are in the TT forum.

9. prisoners

prisoners AK Subscriber Subscriber

The newest Sony two channel integrated amplifiers are impressive, and the speakers are absolutely stunning. Of course the HAP-Z1ES is a revolutionary source that has to be experienced.

10. Quadman2

Quadman2 Addicted Member

Well, guess it depends on how you measure.

I know several times I tried looking up Sony manuals, whether receiver/amp/player related and there were hosts of machines/devices and was amazed at the number they had produced. Even today, check out the mp3 market both past and present to see just how many are offered.

Q

11. Dazaa

Dazaa Super Member

You must be talking about a different company because Sony have made a HUGE amount of equipment.

12. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Well-Known Member

I'd be 100% supportive of a dedicated Sony sub forum. I absolutely love my Sony ES gear. Quality, beauty, features, performance, the ES stuff has it all. And many Sony models from the the 60s-90s can compete with anything on the market, and may even be a bargain compared to the prices that comparative Marantz and Pioneer stuff currently commands. I'm currently considering picking up a mid 70's Sony receiver to add to my collection, with the intent of it powering my newly acquired JBL L100s.

13. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

We sold Sony for years. But only the professional and broadcast products were well thought of. The way Sony treated the consumer and dealers was a pain in the rear. Always introducing models at Wces before being available causing discounting of current models to get them off the shelf. Charging dealers a flat rate with the promises of kick backs depending on the numbers sold with other fuzzy conditions. They did that with Professional and Broadcast equipment, too. But at least they supported the professional and Broadcast dealers, where home dealers weren't always supported that well. With all the discounting, the trade in values were poor so consumers trying to upgrade felt cheated. Professionals used the equipment past its service life and chucked it. Like with the home stuff, there was always a better mouse trap. Look at ARC, Mcintosh, older Marantz/. The average life of production of an amp might be 5 to 10 years. Sony would have 12 or 13 models over the same period. Making the older units obsolete and worth less. And over the same period at least half of the succedding models were made cheaper further reducing the value of the previous model. Mitsubishi was famous for introducing a 35" TV in a nice genuine wood console and then the next year building a stripped down version in a plastic cabinet. Everyone jumped on the wagon and everything went ugly black. Even Klipsch had to offer black speakers. Altec went from Green to Black. It was a very boring time. At least B&O kept on their own path.

I owned Sony VCR's, all types it seems, cassette machines, and my favorite ESS DAT machines. They really worked well, but the tapes were fragile so as soon as CD recorders came along all the tapes were dubbed to disc. The analog tapes R2R that were Ampex Grand Master were all dubbed to DAT as they were failing suffering from the sticky disease and then to CD. All my TV's were Sony trinitron from the first moon launch until Mitsubishi came along with their 35" console. I wanted a 43" Sony, but the price was ridiculous. The minute we became a Nakamichi dealer and a Pioneer plasma came along. Sony was no more.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have about 10 Sony ES products in this house. All are still working at their top performance level and some are over that 25 year mark. It's pretty good stuff. One of my favorite amps is the Sony TA-55ES. It just keeps on truckin'

Audioraven and darkblue94 like this.
  15. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

Nope.

16. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

My Sony turn tables are all working well, no need to consult other members in a forum so far. :dunno:

bluesky, RedSquare and darkblue94 like this.

17. jimbo2k

jimbo2k Adcom GFT500, 2GFA535,BandO RX2, MMC3,C101 L570's, Subscriber

Best kept secret in vintage audio. 70s str receivers, 80s and 90s es. Right Now STR7055, WMD-6c, TCKa1esa, TA-E 2000esd. Dont drive the price up

superdog, bluesky and Audioraven like this.
  18. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

We have Eicho we have Fisher, but no Sony.

19. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

No Denon, Nakamichi or Chi-Fi section either . Hey, can't have everything. I imagine a Chi-Fi sub forum might even be quite active.

Agree that Sony made some great gear, though they seemed to peak in the 90's and drop off after that.

20. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

I was just reading up on the origin of color television. Sony's Chromatron and follow up Trinitron were true advances on the state of the art. Even today, large broadcast CRT monitors fetch good money with the gamers. Even the little 9 inch kitchen sets sell for surprising coin. I just said goodbye to my CGS-50 Super Betamax deck. What a beautiful picture. I already regret it but I can't keep everything.