Hey Grump here is your SR-838

Gorgeous !

A great big Thank you for handing her for me. So when can we expect a review ?

Grumpy

Patience my son, all in good time. First a total once over. Where upon I was happy to find fully adjustable input voltage and "gold" contacts on the connectors.

good and bad news:

Good first: this TT is dead silent when not playing. I can even tap on the cabinet and the cartridge does not pick it up. I can get a faint tap if I tap on the headshell. The speed drifts ever so slightly under manual control, but is dead on when I engage the quartz servo lock. So, I put on Larry Carlton "The B.P.Blues" off his "Last Nite" album. Clean, crisp, just plain sweet and this with a entry level cartridge. The TT could get even better with a good cartridge.

Now the bad new: well not really bad, but after making four new spring loaded feet for the TT, I found out the TT uses three the same height and one short one. Oh well, back to the bench to make a "short" leg. See, that wasn't so bad. :D

The pitch control when in the manual mode is a very delicate adjustment. Possibly the pitch pot (that sounds cool!) might be a little dirty or possibly the unit needs to come up to a steady temperature before the manual pitch will hold a steady strobe.

Doesn't really matter as the servo lock mode is they way it was designed to be used and locks the speed to a crystal oscillator and is dead on watching the strobe. Mine does hold very well in manual but does take some teasing the pot to get it right on.

How about the weight of the platter, pretty impressive, no? My only complaint is the total manual operation, no arm lift at end of the LP, so you have to be near it when the record is done. That is one reason I also got a Marantz 6300 TT. As well as having very cool styling the 6300 has a automatic arm lift/shutdown mode.

I would be curious of your opinion of the sound quality for the SR as I have only listened to my two TTs and think the SR is a cut above the 6300 for stablity and isolation.

Lefty

Back
Top Bottom