Hey I am a new member hoping to get some much needed help to get my old Crown DL 2 hooked up to the

Stansje

Other Crown components:
1. Crown DL2 2 power module
2. Crown FM 1
3. Crown EQ 2
4. Two Crown sa-2 amplifiers
5. DL2 distinction series controller
6. 2 B&W 801 series speakers

I have the manuals but it hasn't helped me with a diagram of how the cables are connected. Its been stored for many years and was purchased in the 80's. HELP!

Attachments

• 15426135062271249959819.jpg
    15426135062271249959819.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 1542613573796264645059.jpg
    1542613573796264645059.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 18
Hello and welcome to AK. I have all of the same equipment you have also. Have not used mine in years also. Do you have the phono modules too? Send me a PM and I will get you my phone number and walk you threw it.
Did you bridge the amps for mono? Great equipment

Excellent we now have something to work with instead of just some typewritten information.

If it were me, I would unplug everything and start over but you already have things kinda connected so we can start there.

The DL-2 power module (PM) plugs into the wall, we will do this last.

The gray wire with the black rectangular plug, plug held in with screws is the power from the PM to the DL-2 Controller DL). There are two outlets on the PM for this and either can be used. The other end goes to the DL and that only has one input. Once these are plugged in, tighten the screws to keep them in place. This cable appears to be in place.

The FM1 has an output that connects to the DL into the Tuner Input on the top 2 rows of jacks and it appears to be connected correctly. The tuner output appears to be connected to the variable output connections. There are small adjusting screws adjacent to these connections.

You only have this one input unless you have tape, cd, phono or other input pieces, the system will be FM only. No problem adding something after we get it hooked up.

The next item to connect is the EQ-2. This unit uses a different plug and needs both an input and an output connected...both going to the DL-2 controller, on a Ext Processor Input on the top rows and a Ext Processor Output on the bottom rows. Now is the time to talk about the cables since Crown uses a different plug for outputs than it uses for inputs. The Inputs are RCA jacks so the wire at that end will have RCA plugs. The plug looks like this:
iu
the DL Input looks like this
iu
Ignore the far end of the black connector. These two make the Input connections.

The DL uses a standard ¼" mono phone plug for the Outputs and and these appear to be the inputs and outputs to the EQ-2, also. They look like this:
iu
and
iu
note this is a panel mount similar to the jack on the back of the DL and all you would see is something like this, ignore the words:
iu

Now that you are learning the difference between the RCA jacks and plugs and the Phone jacks and plugs you can verify the ends of any wires to make sure they will work for each installation. Crown is almost alone in uses different plugs as most home audio uses just the RCA connections except microphone inputs and headphone outputs. Nothing to worry about just to know so you can use the parts you need to hook things up.

Now the EQ-2 has 4 sets of connections on the back. You want to use the Unbalanced Input as are connected in the photo. This cable will go to the External Processor 1 Output on the DL. This cable will have Phone plugs on both ends.

The output of the EQ will be the Normal one and it will go to the External Processor 1 Input on the DL. This cable will need to have RCA plugs at the DL end and Phone plugs on the EQ end. To switch the EQ into the signal you will push the Ext Processor 1 button on the front of the DL.

Now to the amps and speakers, a separate post.

Let us know how you do on what is in this post.

Last edited:
The wiring diagram is in the DL manual just after the Table of Contents pages, it is a fold out.

Do you have a turntable for this system? If so, the DL uses a phono module as shown in the diagram. If you don't have that diagram let me know and I'll post it. I don't see a connection to the PM for the power for the phono module but some of the power cords for the PW to DL have a Y to allow two things to be connected.

If you are able to hook this up and learn even 50% of how to do it you will be able to hook up just about any old vintage stereo. This system is extremely versatile and that with the different plugs makes it fairly difficult but we can get you through that and have tunes playing.

Can you post a picture of the backs of the amplifiers and speakers? We can get you through the connections better if we know what is already wired in place as there are a couple/few different ways to do it. Also while you are close to the amps can you check the position of the Stereo-Mono switch that is below the inputs. An indicator that the amps are in mono is the speaker connections, using just the red connectors and not the black ones with only one wire pair. If both the red and black outputs are being used with two speaker wires (4 conductors) then the amps would probably be in Stereo.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK! Stansje.... You have another post asking the same Q?
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ier-info-and-suggestions-needed.308443/page-3
The last poster would have answered your Q.
When you do get it hooked up?? run in gently at low vol. Have you opened the lid? I'm not reading 3 pages on your other post. :D dust bunnies are not good.
-----
You don't know how damned lucky you got that info that fast! By Blue Shadow and other owners. We have techs here in NC who install gear, usually new, that charge you out the ass! For that kind of info. Most would never know how to hook that up.

Damned nice of Ya Blue!! :trebon:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom