"Hey I thought you might like..."

Yesterday, my old mechanic told me "I got some old receivers you can have."

Well, I snagged them, both were stated to have problems, after a good cleaning and a deoxit bath on one, they're both fine.

A kenwood 5.1 a/v receiver, nothing too special, but functional, and a cute little early 90's Pioneer with that motorized volume knob and red LED that I always found so cute.

Sounds pretty good on my Minimus 77's. Doing duty on the porch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_001354.jpg
    WP_001354.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 109
A colleague down the hall offered me his old receiver. I told him I'd give him a 6-pack in exchange. It's a Yamaha R-7. Supposed to be pretty nice. I tested it with some crappy old speakers and I can verify that it functions. Then I gave it to my son for his college apartment.

Interesting tidbit: My son will be running it with Design Acoustics PS-10s, apparently the same model speakers that the original owner had.

I have two restored Poulan chain saws that belonged to my late father. Mean old bitches that make lots of noise, and chew thru wood like a badger.
Nothing manlier, or more dangerous than that, lol.

I think you meant beaver? Badgers chew through YOU. Unless there's a new species of wood-chewing badgers we have to worry about now...:yikes:

Just havin a little fun folks. :D

So I think it's time to resurrect this thread. :)

However I'll just keep you hanging for bit while I take and upload a few photos. ;)

I don't even know photography, but from that first pic, I thought "Leica. Gotta be a Leica."

Sweet.

Actually that first one is a Zeiss, a Zeiss Ikonta 533/16 to be precise.

There are about 10 cameras in all, a couple of lenses and a Metz flash kit.

The cameras include a few Voigtlanders, the Leica, a couple of Zeiss and an Olympus.

I'm planning on getting some film now, at least for one of them. Medium format film at that, 120 size.

:)

Oh, whoops. Told ya I knew nothing about photography.

Have fun, film is a lost art, and analogous to our passion for vinyl.

Her's another Zeiss 120mm format.

20160830_213603 by Buhduh, on Flickr

The Olympus Pen EE-2 which is a half frame camera. In other words 35mm film yields twice as many 18mm x 24mm negatives instead of the 36 x 24 of standard 35mm cameras.

20160830_213520 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Most of them are in excellent condition though a few have some paint flaking off.

20160830_213215 by Buhduh, on Flickr

I'm not a camera collector, but as the father of one I know way more about this stuff than I need to. And all I can say is, Wow. Wow wow wow. And a Leica? Seriously?

I mean, sheesh, my son has had his share of luck over the 15 years or so he's been at it, but never in one fell swoop like this, and never a Leica. Contaxes, Rolleis, Ihagees, all yes. Even an Ikonta 133/16. But a Leica? No, sir. Not one. A Russian Leica copy is as close as he's gotten so far. Hearing about your good luck-- and yes, I'm duty bound to tell him-- will no doubt encourage him in his quest, not that he needs it.

Again, Wow. You, sir, must be living right.

I shared this elsewhere on AK a long time ago, but here goes: A former co-worker once informed me that a neighbor was getting rid of some stuff, and added that one of the items was something I'd appreciate. That "something" tuned out to be a Sansui quad receiver. I still owe him for that one. :thumbsup:

i rotate out various vintage receivers and speakers up at work (for our am listening pleasure). several of my customers ask about them and a few have said "hey i have some old unit at home... you want it?". ive had people bring me receivers, speakers, a sub and so on. ive fixed a few things for some people as well. makes for a great conversation piece.

Good idea for a thread! Yes we're the weird ones who like all that "old stereo junk" ...

Coworker asked if I wanted his old speakers that had been in his mom's garage for 30 years. I said sure. Here those 'ol speakers are (after I polished them up a little):

ut_PO3uLV05jhqaFdiQqyCb0IblbuCdduBTkx4cbG4_aNn4TN23wN5rf9fLU0UuWgsgOWju3cbbVCO-EHKypm2J1ngTz8nxW5lt-N1ED8UKlJAGyZelmHOGNRFKPNy_2KwjdKKZ_krc34Qho0rT4VgqGBlB4JQ-BJtsK1HC7UzzpxEiRbtfw9MYlgvqvi3GwEU8aTXgFPjb8HnXQdQCXmkvA2tJdi0SMSkLBmeS9R-KM2dCzIWVNCXjfzT7aWn2lSOZtld2jjmWMIQPwTTtZc8XyM4xzQY1E9FDKFdo-Lg5fic8EjRN9smnPbKA0zhnU8SHJvWBdnO_Ntiwyuy7nhl-kek0o_sVMqOwIB_b6654TKBXlobi8BTG1auCyENby9BKefohbIACkYIR71bPNnzVMKyOjfiKa6NFsUJRTxpYOrE-g9ujmOvNPDlhM5qRfQk84LQyf0axB0dzWez-SdF_MsAkH-qomPXA5TK0gzUeGhP9QePQUGzBdxuJ8m8bD2cxUh4pmHuAnzdeYs8FEoeAlmWyc6xF0KtJdtHckbDFT_Va81HLVzeLg-Mxe8Ps-Ih-harUyibFt3NTdTlNyG27qtCvWg3Wnk1oLnnnybngVhxsA=w1811-h1019-no

Today was almost one of those "unnh, maybe not" kind of freebies.

20170228_195912.jpg

But I suppose I might listen to a couple of these...

20170228_195806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom