Hey Jay! Twangfest Spring 2016, whaddaya say?

what are the "smaller Hartleys"? had the BA3 FE again this time too! F5 combines well with most all, unless it has an over the top high end...this will not be hidden!

I hope more folks will bring gear - especially speakers - to listen to. Lacking the stereo stores of old, it's really the best way to hear a variety of gear. Most of this stuff hasn't been in the stores for years anyway...where else could you go to hear it?

what are the "smaller Hartleys"? had the BA3 FE again this time too! F5 combines well with most all, unless it has an over the top high end...this will not be hidden!
The smaller Hartleys are called Holton A's. It is a 2 driver system. One 8~9" driver running without a crossover. This driver is called the 220MSG. Also included is a Phillips 0160 tweeter running in parallel with a small cap. They are less dynamic than the big Hartleys (called Concertmaster IV), but sound more more cohesive to me. That 220MSG running fullrange is pretty special.

Hey I forgot to shout out to Chris. He rebuilt the Hartley Concertmaster IV crossovers. His new layout allows for bi-amping!!! Very cool. And they sound fantastic!!!! A big improvement!

I hope more folks will bring gear - especially speakers - to listen to. Lacking the stereo stores of old, it's really the best way to hear a variety of gear. Most of this stuff hasn't been in the stores for years anyway...where else could you go to hear it?
That's true, brick and mortar stores are few and far between, but we do have a few in the area. The Tektons I just got used to be marketed like that, but now you buy direct from Tekton, right here in the US of A!

Zu speakers, like Tekton are located in Utah as well and I believe they direct market as well. Was looking at Zu when I saw a comparison of the Zu model I was interested in compared with the Enzo, and oddly bought them sight unseen. It turns out my concerns were for naught, they are surpassing my expectations! (Tekton has a 30 day return policy)

Russellc

For some reason I thought those were Concertmaster VI but what do I know about Hartleys. :biggrin: Maybe I was a little dyslexic that day.

I was thinking, my amateur engineering on those crossovers is hidden inside the cabinets. Now I get why people restore tube amps: there's a lot more visual ohh-ahh factor. :rflmao:

For some reason I thought those were Concertmaster VI but what do I know about Hartleys. :biggrin: Maybe I was a little dyslexic that day.

I was thinking, my amateur engineering on those crossovers is hidden inside the cabinets. Now I get why people restore tube amps: there's a lot more visual ohh-ahh factor. :rflmao:

You know Chris, the Concertmaster and the Holton series both went through several iterations. Here is a link where it is talked about a bit by someone who knows more than I do... see post #7.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hartley-horton-a-speakers.262201/

What I can say is that your crossover modifications work wonderfully. I thank you truly!!!

I agree 100%

The smaller Hartleys are called Holton A's. It is a 2 driver system. One 8~9" driver running without a crossover. This driver is called the 220MSG. Also included is a Phillips 0160 tweeter running in parallel with a small cap. They are less dynamic than the big Hartleys (called Concertmaster IV), but sound more more cohesive to me. That 220MSG running fullrange is pretty special.

Hey I forgot to shout out to Chris. He rebuilt the Hartley Concertmaster IV crossovers. His new layout allows for bi-amping!!! Very cool. And they sound fantastic!!!! A big improvement!

The next time those small Hartly's hit my living room they are staying. I already have the quick crete bought for the tennis shoes. Hey, catfish and turtles have to eat too right? :)

I saw your PM and replied. No can do right now, the new Tektons broke me of play money for a while!

Russellc

Hey folks if anyone is interested in a pair of Kg 4.2's similar to mine, there is a pair on Columbia MO Craigslist under the title 'vintage speakers'. I emailed the seller and he says they have Crites diaphragms, original crossovers, and a small tear in a rubber surround repaired with RTV (mine have a small tear too, repaired the same way). Two hundred clams which is good. I will be glad to email photos I got from the seller but it may be just as fast to go direct. As a favor to Twangfesters, I will be glad to check them out and/or buy for you if you arrange shipping or pickup.

The seller also has CV's, Dahlquist, Advent and others.

After a day or two I may post this in D&S, just giving you folks a shot first.

I may be a young'un.... but I ain't never seen the fabled Chicken Suit. What splendors await! And Jay, there are makings on the horizon- no need to feed the aquatics. ;)

Hey folks if anyone is interested in a pair of Kg 4.2's similar to mine, there is a pair on Columbia MO Craigslist under the title 'vintage speakers'. I emailed the seller and he says they have Crites diaphragms, original crossovers, and a small tear in a rubber surround repaired with RTV (mine have a small tear too, repaired the same way). Two hundred clams which is good. I will be glad to email photos I got from the seller but it may be just as fast to go direct. As a favor to Twangfesters, I will be glad to check them out and/or buy for you if you arrange shipping or pickup.

The seller also has CV's, Dahlquist, Advent and others.

After a day or two I may post this in D&S, just giving you folks a shot first.

those kappa 8.1's would be a good project if they could be had cheap enough

@Eric you kiddin? Insert prying from my cold dead fingers cliché. :)

@moe Too bad I am hip deep in speaker projects. I'm about to have to build a doghouse out of them in the garage and sleep there because there's no room in the inn. :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom