Hey look what I found/Need Service Help

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Hi gang...we got this bulletin board called Freecycle, where people around town post things they don't want or things they need, and everything is free. So I'm up at 4 am (against my will) and someone posted at 1 am an "old Pioneer stereo receiver, heavy." Of course the good stuff goes quick but nobody had seen this one yet! I emailed and he wrote right back at 5 am(may have been up against his will too but he did not specify. :scratch2: ) He says it's a tuber. :thmbsp: and that it broke years ago and his tech said there was a part he couldn't get so it was never fixed. Well to make a long story short, it's not a tuber.

It's an SX-1250! :D Not knowing my model #s by heart, I googled it and found it was a massive freakin 60 lb 160 wpc monster receiver-war veteran and decided I must have it, and now I do. Ha! If I spend several hundred on repairs, I'm still ahead! Woohoo! :naughty:

It's in real good shape, no major scratches or dents, all knobs intact, etc. He could not remember what part was bad. My reading indicates certain common items (such as the big caps) can be replaced. (What could be unobtanium on this? Or did Mr. Tech in 1995 just not look hard enough and sold the guy a new receiver instead?)

MY QUESTION: Where to get this looked at? I do old tube radios and do not have equipment, audio knowhow or time and do not want to screw with such a nice machine anyway. I am in central MO, Columbia, pop 90,000, and we don't have a vintage audio shop here that would lovingly restore this beast properly. Can you guys recommend anyone? Who fixes your stuff? Could I ship it somewhere to have it looked at? Who do you trust? I need some vintage gear lover with a pony tail to massage it. I would be most grateful for any advice you can offer.

PS I recommend you go to freecycle.org and sign up for the freecycle group in your town and put in a wanted listing once in awhile for old gear. You might be surprised!

I am PUMPED! :beerchug:

- Tox

help is closer than you think!

One of Ak's excellent techs, Echowars, is not far from you.

You might want to send him a PM to see what he can do for you.

Before you send it anywhere, it's a good idea to check it out to see what the malfunction is. Before plugging it in, remove the screws to the case and look inside to see if there is anything loose inside (left by the previous tech) that could short out, or any broken wires. Remove the bottom panel as well and check there.
Then power it up and see if the lights come on and if the relay clicks. If it's completely dead, it may be a bad transformer. that would be the only non-replaceable part. If you have a voltmeter you can check the AC voltage on the secondary windings. It isn't necessary to know what the exact voltages should be, but the most important is the winding for the poweramp which should be about 60 - 80V center tapped. If that's gone, the transformer is probably toast. If you were missing the 12V winding, you could probably kludge in a smaller transformer just for that supply.

Waylyn: maybe you missed where I said "Well to make a long story short, it's not a tuber." He didn't know what he had, but know what *I* have and I'm lovin' it! :)

I saw Echowars on some threads here as I was reading, I will give a holler. thanks.

-Tox

And thank you Dr. Audio, that's good advice and I'll check it out asap. Prolly next week cuz I have to drive 6 hrs. to see the in-laws this weekend! (rather stay home with my new toy... :sadwave: )

Back
Top Bottom