Hey North Carolina AKers!

CT Jim

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
About two months a go, my wife and I perused a couple area in NC to retire to. Much as we liked Wilmington area, we liked New Bern more, enough so that I have been in discussions with a Real Estate agent on some lots in a subdivision as well as a local contractor about building a new home. I waited on popping for the lot until I had a better price range from the builder. I'd say I was within a week of buying one of the lots.

Crap, look at what Florence just did, messed up New Bern pretty good! All is not lost though, our friends just got back to their rental house; no damage or flooding at all, just power loss. They're in the area between the Trent and Nuese Rivers south of the airport. All is not lost, they're about 2 miles away from where we're considering, and they will be driving over to get a firsthand look. Should have more info later tonite.

But even though we haven't given up yet on New Bern, what other areas can you suggest we look closer at? Raleigh? Charlottesville? Others?

Kindly PM any info you think would help us decide where to go. The CT taxes are horrendous. As an example, $6500/yr here, is about $900/yr there! Why would anyone stay here?

New Bern is an interesting choice. My wife lived there for 4-5 years in '80s and I really liked it. Easy access to water, beaches, and interesting small/quaint towns like Oriental, Swansboro, and Beaufort. It is also one of the cheaper places to live. However, traffic toward the coast gets crazy in the summer, especially going through Havelock to Morehead City. Another interesting area is northeast coastal NC. Towns like Edenton and Elizabeth City offer similar water/coastal access and are relatively cheap. However, they are less populated and further from shopping, medical services, etc. IMHO Raleigh is a place for young people, not retirees.

Actually, almost any place in NC has reasonable cost of living except Charlotte/Raleigh-Durham area and of course coastal towns.

Good luck!

Roger

update, the area of New Bern we are looking closely at did not flood, the flood plain maps were correct, and other than a power outage, no damage!
We are once again moving forward. Medical facilities are one of the top listed requirements, as is a proximity to water, and decent social activities.
The outlying areas may be less expensive, but you then pay more indirectly for many of the same accoutrements!

Raleigh is a place for young people, not retirees.
+1 Roger that. It's a great city...but it's a cluster.

New Bern is a solid choice....as is Greenville/Winterville. --> College town, excellent medical facilities, quiet drive to the coast.

update, the area of New Bern we are looking closely at did not flood, the flood plain maps were correct, and other than a power outage, no damage!
We are once again moving forward. Medical facilities are one of the top listed requirements, as is a proximity to water, and decent social activities.
The outlying areas may be less expensive, but you then pay more indirectly for many of the same accoutrements!

Congratulations, Jim!
Trent River area is great. We "revisited" New Bern one night in late July on a trip to the coast. Amazing how quiet and peaceful some places are, even close to town. Lawson's Park is a great example. We also enjoyed canoeing Brice's Creek and the lakes in Croatan National Forest just south. Just keep a good stock of insect repellent :thumbsup:

Roger

Albemarle Sound area is nice and you get to the Outer Banks pretty easily or even up to the Virginia Beach area fairly easy as well.

You know big skeets may not be too bad, my wife is a little thing!

thanks guys
heh heh....big or petite, as a northerner relocating to the south full time, brace yerself for these pesky and abundant NC sub-tropical bassards.

Money well spent (whether you build or buy) is to invest in some skeeter resistant micro screening for your back porch. After my BIL and sister retired here from DC, one year in they pulled the trigger on this "high-tech" screen. A most worthy investment that made cocktail porch time swat and itchy free.
:whip::)

We have been in New Bern for two years now and still love it. We are in Fairfield Harbour and the neighborhood took a pretty good hit. Our street was fine. Now is a good time to look at lots because you can sure tell what floods and what doesn’t!

If you want the coast, then it needs to be the coast. We prefer the mountains. Asheville is the only city I would consider. It too is expensive, but a gem of a place. Yes, Charlotte and Raleigh are for young and professional working people. No reason to put up with all that if you don't have to. There are beautiful mountain lakes on the east side of the mountains from NE Georgia, upstate SC and up into WNC. Of them all, Lake James is probably the most attractive in my opinion. Morganton area. Morganton is a fine town and it is centrally located to the best parts of the mountains. West of Asheville, Brevard area is very nice also. As far as the coast, we wait for the off season when vacation crowds and rental prices to go down. More enjoyable. Weather is much better, too. Ocracoke in the winter is a hoot. Fishing at night, yours may be the only headlights on the entire stretch of island. The coast gets damn hot in the summer.

heh heh....big or petite, as a northerner relocating to the south full time, brace yerself for these pesky and abundant NC sub-tropical bassards.

Insects and humidity :thumbsup:
My parents lived in western NC (50 miles from Asheville) until they moved to "Little Washington" to be near my brother and grand kids. They only lasted 6 months before selling the home they purchased and returning to western NC :rolleyes:

My mom loved being around the grand kids but couldn't handle the summer humidity!

Update.
Took me awhile to find this thread, and construction is progressing very well.
I called phifer to discuss screening, and they are sending samples so I can tell the builder what I want.
Types are 'No-see em', 'better View', 'standard 20/20 mesh...

Back
Top Bottom