Hey who remembers Korvette's Discount Store???

Korvette's in Audubon, NJ. Two Guys Discount Store in Lawnside, NJ had a lot of albums. Their albums were a bit more expensive, but less prone to warpage.

Korvette's in Audubon, NJ. Two Guys Discount Store in Lawnside, NJ had a lot of albums. Their albums were a bit more expensive, but less prone to warpage.

I remember going there with a buddy and his mom to buy 45s. He bought Edwin Starr's song "War."

I remember both of those chains, especially Two Guys in Union, NJ. I think my parents bought just about everything I wore as a kid there.

I visited Korvette's in Manhattan and they had a GREAT audio listening room. I heard Altec Valencias there and never forgot them. My brother-in-law bought XAM speakers (Max spelled backward) as part of their well priced combos. Yeah, they were a ball to visit. They also had a store in Douglaston not far from my home and I was a frequent visitor there also. Korvette's stood for "Korean Vets" who were the guys who created the store, Max included.

Memories!:thmbsp:

That's funny, because my dad told me

that Two Guys was originally "Two Guys from Harrison", both of whom were WWII vets, like my father. He said they came home from the war, started a store and got rich.

I was dragged into Korvette's on Telegraph Road in Detroit/Redford when I was just a children :rolleyes:. Made to stand and wait around whilst mom did her shopping. :boring: Got my very first headache that day.

These days, when I get "persuaded" to go shopping with wifey - that headache always seems to return. All these years - same result. Go figure... :scratch2:

Boy, this string brings back some memories. I grew up in Bergen County. These stores are my earliest memories of retail! Do you remember Robert Hall men's stores? Les Paul and Mary Ford did their commercials.

"Dressed in a Robert Hall sweater,acting like a Soap Opera Queen.":D
Jimmy

I visited the one on Rockville pike (MD 355) many times in Rockville, Maryland.
Regards,
Jim

Setting the record straight........
(from http://www.jewishlegends.com/)

No Jewish veterans at EJ Korvettes

Legend: Former discount retailer EJ Korvettes stood for "Eight Jewish Korean Veterans"

EJ Korvettes was a popular discount retailer in the Tri-State area. When you wanted upper end, fancy shmazy goodies, you went to Macy's, but for the cheap stuff, EJ Korvettes was the place.

Unfortunately, EJ Korvettes did not get its name from "Eight (or Eleven) Jewish Korean Veterans."

Korvettes began in 1949, two years before the Korean War, when Jewish businessman Eugene Ferdauf opened a small discount luggage store in Manhattan. For the name of the store, he took the initial of his first name, Eugene, and the first initial of a friend and chose the name "Korvette"after a Canadian sub chaser known as the corvette.

EJ Korvettes went belly up in the 70's. The reason, according to some market analysts, is they began to stray from their client base, and tried to become an upper echelon department store. In so doing, they signed their death sentence.

I have vague recollections of Korvettes from childhood (late '60s/early '70s), but I don't recall ever going inside. I think it was on Rockaway Blvd. in Queens. I used to wonder why they misspelled the name of a car.

IIRC, it was not too far from TSS (Times Square Stores), another discount department store. I used to buy my Monkees records at TSS.

E.J. Korvettes had an auto center too, my buddy had Scat Cat Tires and Ansen Slotted Wheels installed on his 1966 Tri-Powered GTO at their tire center in Morton Grove, IL about 1973

EJ Korvettes in Woodbridge was where I first sold stereos in '68. Their XAM speakers were garbage but their electronics were made by EV at that time. I never had a problem with their records, though.

I do remember an unknown receiver there that I liked called "Rolecor". I wonder whatever became of them? :scratch2:

I bought my first record at the E.J. Korvettes in Douglaston, Queens, Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bayou Country", great album:yes:, don't remember the sticker label--purple=$5.99?

My buddy and I used to take the Q17A bus to Korvettes and spend our paper route money on lp's, still got most of them, Allman Brothers @ Fillmore East (pink label), Steppenwolf Greatest Hits, etc... not bad taste for a little kid if I do say so myself! :music:

Back
Top Bottom