Hey Y'all................

I used to feel the same way about Charleston because I only went on business but I love it now.

WELCOME ...

Pine Ridge here ... just a hop, skip and a jump from Irmo.

If you like Porky D's and go to Charleston SC ... you should go to Thomas Bessinger's Bar-B-Que place on Hwy 17S ... about 3 or 4 miles from the harbor towards Georgia ...

I ate there Tuesday night ... :yes:

WELCOME ...

Pine Ridge here ... just a hop, skip and a jump from Irmo.

If you like Porky D's and go to Charleston SC ... you should go to Thomas Bessinger's Bar-B-Que place on Hwy 17S ... about 3 or 4 miles from the harbor towards Georgia ...

I ate there Tuesday night ... :yes:

That wouldn't be Maurice's nephew, would it now ?

Brothers, I believe.

"Papa Joe" was the father. There was Maurice, Thomas and Robert.

Melvin is a cousin.

Very simular BBQ of course, but IMHO, Thomas Bessingers is the best of the lot. A little less mustard and a tad sweeter, but no one has those fabulous onion rings (big as doughnuts) like Thomas!!! :thmbsp:

Ever notice you never see a bunch of 'Heels get together, they don't eventually start talking about who's kin to who?

Brothers, I believe.

"Papa Joe" was the father. There was Maurice, Thomas and Robert.

Melvin is a cousin.

Very simular BBQ of course, but IMHO, Thomas Bessingers is the best of the lot. A little less mustard and a tad sweeter, but no one has those fabulous onion rings (big as doughnuts) like Thomas!!! :thmbsp:

I think Melvin is Maurice's brother and Thomas is Melvin's son.

Love that Bessingers BBQ!

After a little more research, I think you are right about Melvin and Maurice. I believe that they are brothers. However, I think Thomas is a brother as well and so is Robert.

A bit of the confusion is due to the nicknames of "Big Joe and Little Joe" and who "Little Joe" really was.

Robert Bessinger runs a drive-in in North Charleston. He sells BBQ on the menu but it is not the primary focus. It's pretty good too, but he sells a lot more hamburgers than BBQ.

I personally rate them in this order :

1. Thomas Bessingers on Savannah Hwy in Charleston. A little less mustard and a tad bit sweeter. Love those onion rings!

2. Melvins BBQ in Mt. Pleasant and James Island. Very simular to Thomas Bessingers and he has the good onion rings as well.

3. Maurices BBQ in Columbia (several locations). A little more mustard, but still an excellent choice for lunch when in Columbia.

I strongly suggest that anyone that finds themself in Charleston make it a point to eat at Thomas Bessingers or Melvins!! :yes:

What really shines from this location are the hamburgers. I know, it's odd, but I call 'em like I see 'em, and Maurice makes some mighty fine hamburgers, even if it isn't a hamburger joint. While the barbeque sandwiches are a bit dry (the meat is not chopped as finely as brother Thomas Bessinger's Bessinger's Barbeque in Charleston), it's okay. Try the burgers.

Melvin’s younger brothers, Maurice, Tee, Robert, and Hoyt, some of whom eventually tried their hand at the restaurant game, were still in grammar school as the word spread about the incredible bar-b-que they were cooking up at Joe’s.

Where did “The Little Joe” name come from?
Since Melvin named the Big Joe after his dad, he decided to come out with a smaller sandwich for women and kids. He called it Little Joe Que!

You are correct that a "Big Joe" and a "Little Joe" are large and small size sandwiches, Maurice says that he is "Little Joe" Bessinger, a nickname that he received from working for his father, "Big Joe" Bessinger in Holly Hill.

At one time, there were several "Piggie Park" drive-in restaurants in SC. There were 3 in Charleston. One was downtown (now gone), one in N. Charleston which later became "Roberts Drive-In" and the location on Savannah Highway that is now "Thomas Bessingers".

My 66 GTO and I spent a fair amount of time at that location when I was a young man!

There was also a Piggie Park in Orangeburg and of course in Columbia where Maurices is now.

You are also correct in that many consider Maurices to be an excellent location for Hamburger/cheeseburgers.

I occasionally stop in at Zesto's in Triangle City when in the area!

You guys are making me hungry. Been on the Atkins Diet for 2 1/2 weeks and have lost 11 pounds. Think I could eat my way through those joints right now. Five pounds to go and I am were I need to be. I will lose an extra three so I can binge one time:banana:

Hey Tarheel!

Maybe after your diet you can run by the Trolley Stop at Wrightsville Beach for
a hotdog or two (or 3)!!! :D

That sounds wonderfull right now. I can have all the hotdogs I want.....just can't have the buns:sigh: Need to keep the carbohydrates down to less than 20 grams per day. Gettting tired of losing the same 10-15 time after time.

Back
Top Bottom