HG Wells - The Time Machine

JDaniel

Last night I watched for the 1st time a classic - HG Wells "The Time Machine". The movie was a lot of fun to watch. I wish I had taped it to show my kids. It was on A&E or Turner Classic Movies (can't remember). The cast included:

George: Rod Taylor
David Filby and descendants: Alan Young
Friend: Sebastian Cabot
Weena: Yvette Mimieux

I'd like to have this and War of the Worlds in my collection at home. I may have to go shopping on-line today.

JD

In case you haven't seen this movie, it is coming on again, commercial free, on Turner Classic Movies, Sat. Mar. 20th at 6:15 pm Eastern time.

JD

I kind of liked the book too. H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mark Twain and Loius L'amour were my early teen favorite reads. A couple of years later it was Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test, but thats another story.

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
I kind of liked the book too. H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mark Twain and Loius L'amour were my early teen favorite reads. A couple of years later it was Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test, but thats another story.

Thatch - I'm a huge Louis L'Amour fan. I have every book of his in paperback, and about half in a leather-bound collectors edition. I have a ton of Zane Gray books too. And numerous other westerns - easily over 500. LL is as good an author as will ever walk this earth.

JD

LL; Well he wasn't a great author in my book but was one of the best story tellers that has ever walked the earth and got published.
I read Zane Grey before ever picking up a LL, and even like the music of the band named after one of his titles.

Completely changing the subject, when I look out my window I see nothing but trees and now that it is warm they are leaved out. I can see the wind move the trees and witness it's effect. Kinda like electricity, you can't see it, you can feel it and see it's effects and because of people dead and possibly forgotten we can listen to the music of the dead and not forgotten, just like reading a book.
LL is a person who I never met, but who has been a close personal friend for over a quarter century and lives everytime I or anybody else reads his words.
Yea, and you can see the Rabbit Ears from the road that goes to Trinidad. The last time I saw them was in the shadow of an anvil cloud and that storm moved at 65 mph and chased my ass from NM to Wichita Falls. Had to get gas while a tornado was on the ground 5 miles away according to a Deputy.
The trails, storms, sights are all there, and I can see them when I read the words.

My dad (when he was still alive) took an annual trip out west for two weeks, just camping, fishing and discovering new places. We purposely travelled to places of significance in LL books. I wouldn't trade those memories now for any amount of money. We made the trip about 9 years in a row. They were quite the adventures for a young lad from the south.

I'm sitting here looking at mom & dad's picture on my desk. I miss them every day, but no regrets here - they were great parents and provided a great life for all of us. Now I'm trying to do the same for my kids.

JD

Back
Top Bottom