HH Scott 342-B/13

paul_ral

I found a rare (in my country) Scott 342-B/13 who came from Germany (from scrap I believe). No sound from right channel, damaged dial housing and broken dial string mount, hum on working channel. But he fights to survive:
FBEZppL.jpg

FtGVxhy.jpg

kcqpMFe.jpg

v9t2tu5.jpg

Outputs transistors and non-original fuse holder on right channel
8dPNoNz.jpg

After a basic cleaning of balance switch I found the right channel is working again. With hum and scratches but is working.
This is a good base for a new restoring project.

I give the answer. In the 342 SM emitter resistors are rated at 2W. In 342B SM these are for 4W. I don t know if is a mistake or not.

Waiting for Mouser order
Power supply board
LabPr9b.jpg

Tuner section: FM I.F. Amplifier Z-PC-IF-4
Xld1rh5.jpg

Tuner section: Automatic multiplex demodulator Z-PC-MX14
mhLRJy6.jpg

Amplifier board
NAf1j19.jpg

2mh8NiB.jpg

vXjfs6v.jpg

I replaced old ROE 50uF/35V caps in order to reduce hum on right channel but nothing happens. These old caps have around 75 to 80uF.
GRpbsDj.jpg

Szmse5u.jpg

SRc1KLb.jpg

Preparing for recap. Old Callins filter capacitor 1000uF/50V
zdDI2Uq.jpg

BfVILwg.jpg

Coupling capacitor 1000uF/30V
zGLoMro.jpg

New caps
VhTcPFR.jpg

5VXAhmT.jpg

Vtbhi1q.jpg

Thank you, I read your thread, very good for me. I ll ask you about BIAS adjustment, as SM said is a bit complicated. I should measure voltages across R9 (3.3ohms) at 0.8mA to get 26.4mV?

Good work! Good to see someone else saving an old HH Scott. Just got my 342-C back together after the latest round of fix attempts and now it seems to be working really well. It had blown outputs on one channel and not much seemed to be working right when I got it. It has taken a few weeks to diagnose its problems and get them straightened out along with recapping it. Surprised how good it sounds now with my KLH 17s. Nice sounding tuner section. Much better than I expected. It seems like they should get more love than they do. The 342-C came after the B and is a more conventional design and is not cap coupled. Hopefully your 342-B will sound great when done.

I don't know how the B model is, tcdriver should have knowledge on your model, but on the C I modified how they had the tone board, preamp, and selector knob grounds run and it reduced sizable hum down to a low level. It also took several deoxit cleaning rounds on the controls, particularly the volume control.

IMG_20180518_232747.jpg

Sometimes lack of signal and noise problems requires hunting for bad solder joints or a broken wire or other broken joint. A lot of times they are not obvious and it takes some hunting to find them. On the C a previous owner installed a replacement power switch and destroyed a pair of resistors in the signal path for everything but the tape monitor. Those resistors were soldered to the selector control that took some time to figure out and see the problem. They soldered a number of things to the side of the selector control. Also I had a sizable channel volume mismatch but when I put the receiver on top of my Yamaha amp and tuner to hook up the the KLHs, the top was off, and at that height I looked across and noticed on one amp card a diode they have about 1/2" above the board had been pushed over against the side of one of the transistor sockets catching one of the leads that solder the socket down. I took a pair of pliers and re-positioned the diode and when I fired it up the channel volume mismatch was gone. Little things like that are easily overlooked and can be the cause of problems.

Working on PS board
z1yoEKi.jpg

JZmSTAW.jpg

Voila!
dVDaZfb.jpg

C401 100uF/100V Illinois Capacitor TMA series
C402 220uF/63V Nichicon TVX
C404 100uF/50V Nichicon PW
C405 22uF/63V Nichicon TVX
I also replaced all carbon resistors with metal film 2% ones.

In amp board I used a mix of Nichicon: KL in signal path, ES in preamp section and KA&Muse for the others increasing capacitance.
57e92bG.jpg

RrbWimE.jpg

yV1GunV.jpg

wK7Dt2O.jpg

I measured all transistors and I found big differences (from 101 to 201) in Hfe for small signal QA-14 4700. I replaced them with matched 1% MPSA06. No hum or noise after.
CttnPYJ.jpg

S8YNOnC.jpg

With new trimpots I set BIAS in order to have 27mV on emitter resistors. Many thanks to Larry and tcdriver for helping me.
The sound is very good now, I got a big audible difference.
Today I recapped tuner section, the FM IF amplifier was first. Only one electrolytic here: i use 25uF/25V Vishay/Sprague TVA1205-E3
DF075AH.jpg

Next step was the demodulator. 4 capacitors here: 2 Nichicon KL and 2 Nichicon TVX series according to pcb layout
WC9gRmC.jpg

The tuner works great.

Last edited:
Hey guys, how did you set bias? I have a 342B and I'm not getting good response to the test points to see .8mA. How do you test across emitters? I see above you adjusted to get 27mV. Which emitters did you measure across? R5 and R105 or R6 and R106?

The Scott Equipment from the mid 70,s was very underrated .I like to see others restoring them,I now have 4 pieces and hope to acquire more.It was Mostly sold and advertised on the east coast and Canada.

Back
Top Bottom