HH Scott S-101 need restoration info help

griz780

HH Scott S-101 speaker "Refresh" I am soooo hooked!

Hi all,
Back in '81 I bought a pair of HH Scott S-101 "end table" type speakers to go with my Pioneer SX-780. Now that I'm repairing my 780 I looked at my favorite speakers and decided they needed a good restoration as well... Which leads me to my questions.
I am unable to locate any info on the web regarding specs, schematics, or reviews regarding the S-101's. If anyone has an opinion regarding these speakers I sure would appreciate the feedback.
I always thought these speakers were unique, they always sounded great to me. But they are looking pretty sad these days. Mostly cosmetic luckily, the surrounds and cones are still in great shape considering the punishment they've had over the past 20+ yrs.
So I'm looking for specs, schematics and review opinions for these sentimental possessions. A year or so ago I started to take them apart, thinking I would replace the drivers with modern equipment and get 'em up off the floor. But $$$ for twenty drivers was beyond me. I was thinking some new solder etc. might cheer them up.
ANYWAY- If anybody has owned them, or knows anything about them please add to this thread.

I put some pics up too... check 'em out.

Best regards
griz780

Last edited:
OK, so I'm a forum newbie.. Here's the pics

:thmbsp:
HH Scott S-101's
(2) 10" woofers
(4) 5" midranges
(4) 3" tweets

10 drivers per speaker... Hooked up to a Sony ES series STR-DA1ES receiver. (just doesn't sound the same as the SX-780)

Ok enough rambling, here's the pics:

The MRs and tweeters look the same as those in the Scott S-15's I found at the dump last week. Not impressive looking, but sound rather good. The woofers don't appear to be the same as the 10" woofer in the S-15, though. The S-15's woofers look to be from CTS, but I haven't pulled one out yet to be sure.

What was your question again? :) Ahh, about refurbishing. The drivers should be good approximately forever. You might want to consider replacing the crossover caps (most likely NP's) with nice 'audiophile' caps (Daytons from PartsExpress or Solens would be fine I'd think). I probably wouldn't bother with anything else (though some folks would recommend re-wiring, too).

Griz,

That is one interesting speaker.

I've never heard of it but if the drivers are in good shape and as you want to a "refreshing" may be what you're looking for.

Have you pulled a woofer & taken a look at the crossovers and internal wiring? I'd look at the crossover, write down what each component says, & ask here in DIY for advice.

I usually upgrade the internal wiring, to decent quality thick gauge, not that I expect a huge difference in sound, just the principle of the thing (mrh, nod with a knowing look here :) ). I also clean all the baskets and wipe a light film of 3-in-1 oil to help inhibit future corrosion (only if you're pulling them anyway, or can reach them easily). I've heard tell that swapping out the original stuffing with real acoustic stuffing helps, I think you just go by weight.

I've had some success with using thin rope caulk between the cabinet & the driver as a gasket, particularly in the midrange, but have actually gone back & removed it on one set of woofers 'cause they sounded more boomy, but just the one time. If the drivers are still solidly attached in the cabinet you could probably skip it.

I've been considering using form-a-gasket but have hesitated cause it's so messy.

Clean & treat the tone control switches while you're at it. You could go whole hog & add good quality binding posts (though the originals look fine), heck even add biwire capability, with ten drivers per speaker biamping might be a very good thing! Although it does take some minor crossover modifications, adding the biwire capability could very well be simple.

That's all I can think of. Have fun!!

Pete

rope caulk or regular acrylic caulk in a tube is fine for gasketing. Partsexpress sells flattened caulking material for speaker gasketing which works fine, too.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I am so glad I signed up for AK. My wife actually asked me if my favorite speakers are any good, he he he.... Which means a green light to fix 'em up. I showed her some pics of other AK member's equipment and she asked if I could make my Scott's look as nice. Beam me up Scotty! We have clearance to Engage!

I think "refreshing" these speakers is just the ticket I need! As soon as I get my SX-780 back together I think these two speakers are heading to the shed for a little "quality" time, he he.

This is gonna be a lot of fun learning and sharing at the forum. Thanks for the good advice about refreshing the speakers. Last year I had them apart but never tweaked on anything. I really wanted to buy new drivers, but I'm gonna try to get these things looking and sounding like I remember when I bought them.

I'll take pics and update as the project goes forward.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but...

The receiver in your photo looks like an SX-680 (or 780), rather than an SX-650. No power meters on the latter, and the meters were silver rather than black.

I'll stop now, I promise... :)

OOPS!

Sorry, you are entirely correct! Most surprisingly correct! Absolutely in tune with attention to detail! Ignorance is NOT an excuse, and yes I posted the wrong model number for my receiver..... It actually IS a SX-780. One of the Darlington's blew about two years ago when I touched the antenna to one of the speaker outputs, been sitting in storage until now. After reading a good portion of the AK posts, I thing I'll give EW a ring and see what he put into his kick butt SX-780. I'm waiting to see if I get a SX-1010 for real cheap so which one I fix up is still up in the air.

Anyway, fixed the previous post and thanks for spotting my ignorance as a newbie! I'll try to keep the receiver stuff from clogging up the speaker forum...

But thanks so much for the speaker info. I will be moving them to the shop pretty soon if my STK-0050's don't show up soon!!!

Have a great weekend!
griz780

Speaker "Shop"

AND as far as the speakers go, well they will be heading out to the "shop".... Along side my other "projects"... he he he

Notice I had to walk barefoot to the "shop" to take the closeup pic of the receiver! ouch. I guess there is something to walking the walk and talking the talk... Vintage here I come.

But the speakers and receiver are top of the list, just received my user's manual and service manual for the receiver. But I am thinking the speakers are going to be a better first project. I really want to see how they sound hooked up to the ES series amp after I replace the caps and re-solder everything. Wire is wire after all...

Best regards,
griz780

Back
Top Bottom