Hi all! from a first timer!

hoarybat

Very happy to find this place. Really like the clean easy on the eyes look of the forum as well. Hope to learn alot. I'm getting back to audio after nearly 25 years of marriage and kids. Really missed my 3-way speakers I sold in 1990. Been scrounging craigslist for the last few months and here is what I've come up with by excercising patience:

Boston Acoustics T830's: Price Free 1hr. drive into boston. A girl listed them as good condition but only had one photo with grilles on, not showing drivers or back side and had them listed for $40. When I arrived I found the terminals broken on the rear and of course the woofer surrounds were gone so they had dropped in some new woofers loosely fastened. She gave them to me free since they had issues and not as advertised. They were moving and likely wanted them gone anyway. Well the T830's woofer openings were too large for standard 8" replacements so I added some wooden supports behind them to enable them to be held properly/fastened in, and bought some new banana posts for terminal? (sorry just learning the parts names). and boy these things sound great as fronts.

Picked up a JVC 5.1 receiver RX-6020V on CL for $50 only has one sub-out but good enough for me with the BA 8" woofers complementing.

Lastly just got some JBL 2800's for potential rears but they're not black to match. They sure sound great as rears though so may use them for awhile in the living room before they're moved to a mancave in the future. I got these free on CL locally from a really nice guy when he liked my website and after a few email exchanges. He had them listed for $30. They're like new with only a few scratches on the bottom that can't be seen. After all these years it is nice to hear surround sound for the first time in my home. Am I wrong about people going smaller with speakers in the last 3 decades and preferring subs and small sattelites?

Well anyway everything sounds amazing for <$60 and I couldn't be happier. Now if I can only get my wife and kids outa the house so I can listen to this used system without receiving complaints. Need that mancave! Pics:

Attachments

• 20170112_084440.jpg
    20170112_084440.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170114_115916.jpg
    20170114_115916.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170114_115932.jpg
    20170114_115932.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170114_115957.jpg
    20170114_115957.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to AK! Love minimal $ systems...I have about the same amount wrapped up in mine. Also have a pair of your JBL's baby brothers...2600s...that get occasional use. Nice little speakers.

Thanks all most appreciative....Looking forward to posting and gaining insight from you.

Last edited:
Very happy to find this place. Really like the clean easy on the eyes look of the forum as well. Hope to learn alot. I'm getting back to audio after nearly 25 years of marriage and kids. Really missed my 3-way speakers I sold in 1990. Been scrounging craigslist for the last few months and here is what I've come up with by excercising patience:

Boston Acoustics T830's: Price Free 1hr. drive into boston. A girl listed them as good condition but only had one photo with grilles on, not showing drivers or back side and had them listed for $40. When I arrived I found the terminals broken on the rear and of course the woofer surrounds were gone so they had dropped in some new woofers loosely fastened. She gave them to me free since they had issues and not as advertised. They were moving and likely wanted them gone anyway. Well the T830's woofer openings were too large for standard 8" replacements so I added some wooden supports behind them to enable them to be held properly/fastened in, and bought some new banana posts for terminal? (sorry just learning the parts names). and boy these things sound great as fronts.

Picked up a JVC 5.1 receiver RX-6020V on CL for $50 only has one sub-out but good enough for me with the BA 8" woofers complementing.

Lastly just got some JBL 2800's for potential rears but they're not black to match. They sure sound great as rears though so may use them for awhile in the living room before they're moved to a mancave in the future. I got these free on CL locally from a really nice guy when he liked my website and after a few email exchanges. He had them listed for $30. They're like new with only a few scratches on the bottom that can't be seen. After all these years it is nice to hear surround sound for the first time in my home. Am I wrong about people going smaller with speakers in the last 3 decades and preferring subs and small sattelites?

Well anyway everything sounds amazing for <$60 and I couldn't be happier. Now if I can only get my wife and kids outa the house so I can listen to this used system without receiving complaints. Need that mancave! Pics:

Back
Top Bottom