Hi! anyone knows this Shure cartridge?

lejia

Hi guys, and greetings from Spain!

1st of all, I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Jose, I live in Barcelona and I have 2 modified/upgraded OCNOSON CT1100/CT1800. turnplates. After changing motor silent-blocks, belts, wirings, lubricate tonearms, shafts, bearings, etc..., I'm absolutely satisfied with their sound quality and I think that is more than enough for me. I enjoy changing and testing cartridges and diferent options.

So, to start my relationship with this forum, I have my first question:

Few years ago, I bought at second hand market 2 of these cartridges (check pictures below). Are some kind of M75 from Shure, but the pins situation is different, comparing with the "standard" ones.

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Easy question: Anyone knows the exact model?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Last edited:
Well, without any writing on it, it is kind of guessing but it looks like an M91E.

And welcome to AK.

Doug

Thanks, Doug G., for your welcome message, too!

I was thinking about the same, but, after checking M91E cartridge pictures, I see that pins are like marked in red at picture, and on this cartridge, the location is totally square. Quite strange.

I think that will be very difficult to know.

Sorry about my english!

Best regards

Last edited:
Pull it out of the holder and see if there are any markings on the top side. Could also be an M93E, but thats basically an M91 with a different stylus. To release it, just gently pry out on the front tab and the cartridge can be popped right out. I have the same fitup on my old M93E.

Yes, both the M91 and M93 bodies have staggered pins. That is an odd one! It definitely looks like a Shure M91 body- same shape, same cartridge clip. It must be older if it is a real Shure, as it doesn't say Mexico above the pins on the back.

It looks like any of the M91 compatible styli would fit. (Among those would be: N44 conical, N93E, N91E, N75E/ED/HE, even N97E!) Could it be that the coils are slightly different from the M91, maybe with a possible difference in inductance that might yield a difference in equalization? :scratch2: I guess the only thing to do is to stick an M91 compatible stylus in it, and see how it sounds! :music:

Ola, Jose! Bienvenido a AK!

What led you to believe that the cartridge is a Shure?

The clip looks like a Shure clip but I can't recall ever seeing a Shure that didn't have those staggered pins. Certainly the "flat bottomed" cartridges like the M91 and M75 did, also the later M95 and M97 bodies. Furthermore, the overall shape of the cartridge body looks like neither the flat bottom nor the later V bottomed cartridge bodies. It looks more like a Stanton/Pickering design but I don't really think that's what it is either. :dunno:

John

It definitely looks like a Shure M91 body- same shape, same cartridge clip.

Actually, it's a bit different. Beside the pin arrangement, the radii of all the corners on the housing are much rounder than they are on the Shure which has sharper corners. It could be a Shure but not one I've ever seen. This one's quite a mystery to me.

John

Looks like a M 75 in Easy Mount. Commonly used in better radio/phono combinations. Dynatron in England was a common user of them in the early 1970's. Decca and several other set makers used this cartridge.

Looks like a M 75 in Easy Mount. Commonly used in better radio/phono combinations. Dynatron in England was a common user of them in the early 1970's. Decca and several other set makers used this cartridge.

I was holding an M75 in my hand and comparing it to the OP's photo when I wrote that the cartridge is significantly different from the flat bottomed Shures. The clip looks a lot like an EZ Mount but there are differences in the body shape and then there is the pin placement which, I believe, rules Shure out.

I just got back from running a few errands and, while I was out, a possibility occurred to me. ELAC?

John

I just pulled out my old M93E and on closer inspection, the clip is indeed a little different. On the one pictured, the openings in the mount go out to the sides. On my Shure piece, the openings face the stylus end of the cartridge. The body does look strikingly like the M93E, other than the color and pin layout though. Mine is sort of an ugly green with textured paint.

Unrelated, I realized that somehow I totally dinked the cantilever on my own Shure. Must have caught it when I stuck the platter back on after I sent the idler out for a rebuild. The cantilever is sticking straight down with a sharp kink in it. crap, now I have to spend another 16 bucks. Glad I caught this now instead of when the idler shows up.

Doesn't look like the M91 I have in metal clip. Even the clip is shaped a little different. My clip has hooked shaped ears for mounting instead of holes. Pins are staggered as well. Body very squared at corners

And another thing. It may not be but it looks to me as if the opening for the stylus shank is round, not diamond shaped. If that's the case it would totally rule Shure out. ELAC as well.

John

Hi guys! Here again!

Below you can watch another picture that shows the clip and cartridge, as well as a N75 stylus, perfectly fitted. The opening for the stylus shank is diamond shaped. In fact, this sylus came with the cartridge when I bought it. No marks on the housing. Totally black.

So, my suspect is that this cartridge may be some special edition from Shure or another for OCNOSON/VIETA/COSMO, diferent brands in Spain (but same manufacturer), very famous in my country during seventies/eighties. What do you guys think about this possibility?

I have one of these carts working in one of my turnplates, and sound is very crisp and clear. I hope that together we can solve this mistery. Best regards.

IMG_1715.jpg

So, my suspect is that this cartridge may be some special edition from Shure or another for OCNOSON/VIETA/COSMO, diferent brands in Spain (but same manufacturer), very famous in my country during seventies/eighties. What do you guys think about this possibility?

What you suggest is certainly possible. Shure did make special versions of its cartridges for specific manufacturers. Dual and Garrard are two examples. Ocnoson, Vieta and Cosmo could be others. It's also possible that Shure provided the styli and that the cartridge bodies were made under license by a third party, perhaps in Spain. That would explain why the cartridge has some VERY un-Shurelike characteristics.

John

Back
Top Bottom