Hi Everyone. Fantastic Community Here

SL55AMG

Good morning AK community,

I'm Alex. Some of you have seen my gear/chill room in the Listening Space thread:
View attachment 1416657
View attachment 1416670

Hey AK gang, here's my first photo post. I'm 33 and love gear from circa 1990, when the black face stuff was still metal. This is where I jam out, play PS1, PS2 and DC. There's a second TV set-up to the right for SNES, N64 & Wii.

Gear: Adcom GFA-545II, Sony GX80ES as a tuner & preamp, Marantz DV-6001 for cds, Denon DN 780R dual cassette deck running through an ADC Sound Sharper Thirty. Power comes through Furman M-8Dx. Cables are Blue Jean brand running to Klipsch RP-280F speakers. All other cables are KableDirect. No turntable back here yet, although we are using on up front in the main stereo/HT. TV is a 27" Panasonic I purchased new in 2001.

The Nintendo rig: Sony STR-AV1020(black plastic I know, but it does feature a spectrum analyzer not to mention has sweet 80/90s aesthetics.) , Pioneer HPM500 speakers, Pioneer Elite DV-47A, 1994 Sony Trinitron 20".

All furniture is hand-me-down except my chair which I picked up from lowes for cheap back when I had a bachelor pad. Overall, I couldn't be happier. This is a place I can relax and simply disconnect from reality for a bit.

Thought I'd do an proper intro and add some more pics of my gear:
20190210_132207.jpg 20190210_132239.jpg 20190210_132727.jpg 20190210_132747.jpg
I've always been into AV gear since the mid 90s as a child. My first system was a 5.1 HT back in 2001 I built by working all summer to afford... Nothing fancy but the heart of that system was a Yamaha RX-V800 that served me well for over 10 years. I still have the unit but it needs to be repaired.

Fast forward to 2014.. I purchased my first home and moved in with my long time GF. We're now married and luckily she's as much into a/v gear as I am since she grew up around her father's nice 70s Marantz gear. Although we've had a decent system up front these last few years, we didn't really get back into the audiophile hobby until last summer. So now I present our various other systems:

Here's the main HT up front. It's currently 3.0 (3.2?) as the rear speakers aren't hooked up yet:
Screenshot_20181122-095015_Gallery.jpg
Anthem MRX510
Definitive Technology BP 2000 towers
Center is a Klipsch given to us from my uncle
TV is a basic Samsung "dumb" 60" from 2014
Sony CDP-701ES running through Sanskirt M6 dac
Yamaha YP-D4 turntable with a AT MG-53 cartridge running through a Schiit Mani phono preamp
Speaker cables are big green cables bought from amazon but I can't recall their brand off hand.
PS4
XBox 360
Fatty OG PS2
Standard surge protector but a Panamax MR5100 will be the next addition here and maybe this fall we'll upgrade to a 4k TV & X-Box One X.

This rig is fantastic primarily for TV/Movies/modern gaming, but also pretty awesome for music (particularly concert blu-rays) . I love the ability of the Anthem to adjust the settings per input to get each input sounding just how you like it.

In our bedroom we have this set-up:
Screenshot_20190119-145811_Gallery.jpg

Klipsch RP150M in piano gloss black
Sony M110 Amp
Sony ST-S730ES Tuner
Sony CDP-C87ES
Aux cable for connecting to devices.

This stereo is a little odd. The amp is unique as it's not very powerful but does feature 3 switchable inputs, and connections for 2 sets of speakers as well. There are no tone controls which does suck for radio, but we mainly use my Galaxy Note 8 back here with Power Amp which has some decent tone controls/EQ settings.

This tuner does need to be repaired. It will pull channels fine however will not lock into stereo. If anyone knows about this unit and can advice who/where to send it for repair I would very much appreciate it!

The cd player as well needs repair. It will power on but will not open. I've looked inside it and the mechanism which raises and lowers under the cd looks to be broken. I'll most likely take this to Volume Electronics in Cincinnati to see if he can fix it. I do have a C75ES which works (but no wood sides), and I'd be up for using it for parts if they're compatible with the C87. Again, any advice here is much appreciated.

One more to share. This is my office stereo:
Screenshot_20181122-092848_Gallery.jpg
Sony STR-AV760
Sony CDP-C85ES
Infinity SS 2002 Speakers
Audio input via PC

This stereo I absolutely love. So simple, but it's used nonstop every single day at work. I had my Pioneer turntable set up in here for a bit but removed it for various reasons. The aesthetics of this stereo give off nice retro 80s/90s vibes, and I get compliments on it all the time.

Of all the gear pictured in this post, most of it was sourced locally or from the auction site. I take pride in researching gear, hunting it down and buying at a bargain when possible. Thanks for the kind welcome I've already received and thank you all for maintaining such a wonderful community here. I've lurked for years and know there are a lot of amazing folks who make this site truly special.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom