Hi Fi DO - Good?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by MannyE, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I see it's a little pricey, but the variety is staggering and I see "two year warranty" or "one year warranty" on many items. I was thinking of getting one of the higher end Yamaha turntables to round out my vintage Yamaha rig and they have the turntables I'm looking for.

Aside from the power issues which are easily solved, can anyone tell me if buying from them is risky? They have been around for a long time, but I don't know if it's because they are "big in Japan." Is shipping going to be ridiculous?

Those top line Yamaha turntables are freaking heavy.

2. edwin

edwin Active Member

Bought a few cables/lp's from them they are legit. Wanted to purchase a pair of NS-2000 a while back but shipping costs made me think twice. They ship only by air. If I am not mistaken, there was a post earlier on an NS-2000 purchased I think from hifido. Well packed. You can ask them for a shipping quote on the item you intend to purchase.

3. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

They're a very respectable business with first class service. I've purchased from them a few times.

4. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation ------- Hudson Valley, NY Super Mod Subscriber

I have purchased SS and tube amps from them and had excellent product and service. I would not say they are pricey but rather fair market value considering the units are as advertised, often detail serviced and come with a guarantee. Shipping is obviously more than domestic so might be a factor if you are casually looking to buy something large of lesser $ value. However, if you are buying some large high $ value, perhaps highly sought after and hard to find item, something that you intend to enjoy for some time, then a few extra $ shipping might not be much in the overall evaluation.

rottalpha likes this.
  5. MannyE

Thanks that's very good to know. I do intend to purchase a GT-2000 Yamaha turntable and I thought that because of the warranty and the seemingly long track record it may be the place to do it. Plus exploring the site has opened up an entire new world of equipment. Japan seems to still have the hifi bug going as strong as ever.

6. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

They pack equipment in such a manner that it would survive a nuclear holocaust. I and at last 2 other AK members got their GT 2000s from HiFiDo. All of us cannot say enough good things about the company.

redcoates7 likes this.
  7. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I bought my GT-2000 from HiFiDo. They have an excellent reputation for the quality of the goods they sell and for their expertise in packing.

8. VinylHanger

VinylHanger Navigaret ex ironia

HiFiDo is where dreams are made of. Someday I will be ordering a set of top end Diatones.. Never even heard a pair, but me want. Some High end Onkyos would be nice as well.

Watching the cameras is fun.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. edwin

edwin Active Member

The japanese are somewhat selfish when it comes to their audio equipments. Most of the top of the line models are only intended for the Japanese market. It is only when you go to Japan or shop in sites like Hifido that you have the opportunity to purchase and own these things.

10. theophile

I used to think that it was due to a xenophobic attitude from the Japanese as to why they would refuse to sell their top of the line Japan only products to foreigners. I now feel that it has more to do with the lack of the foreign distributors familiarity with this echelon of their gear and their lack of ability to service the same also. They wanted to top level of their output to remain close to where the cream of their designers and their top level service personnel could ensure that it stayed working at peak performance.

I'm not saying that there isn't a smigeon of xenophobia in Japan that contributed to the witholding of their best. Just that I now feel that it was mostly due to more practical considerations.

11. Beobloke

Beobloke Super Member

I bought a Sony PS-X9 from Hi-Fi Do last year. They were an absolute pleasure to deal with and, whilst the shipping for the unit was around £400, it was worth every penny. The deck was properyl dismantled and double-boxed, and arrived in perfect condition - as has been said, I swear the packaging would have survived pretty much anything short of direct nuclear attack!

12. MannyE

Well if the latest Technics offerings are any indication, those days are over. Though I do see the difficulty of the "warranty" from hifido considering shipping will most likely exceed the cost of anything but the most extensive repair. On the other hand, I was only able to find one Yamaha GT 2000 for sale here in the States, but 4 or 5 to choose from as well as other lower end models on hifido.

13. theophile

So, whadda ya waitin' for?

14. Crazeehorse

Crazeehorse Active Member

I bought a GT-200L from them this past October. It arrived in perfect condition. They pack very well and were great to do business with. Would do it again for sure.

15. theophile

It only cost him 10% of the price of a GT 2000L.

Sorry couldn't resist.

16. redcoates7

redcoates7 still learning... Subscriber

I've also purchased a few items from them and have been VERY pleased. Excellent communication, fabulous packaging, and access to some really unique items.

17. MannyE

As soon as I get a moment I'll check the shipping costs and if they aren't insane I'm pulling the trigger!

18. belgianbrain

belgianbrain AK Subscriber Subscriber

Isn't anything on that site Japanese voltage? 100V?

19. theophile

The 100V thing is easily sorted-out by the use of a step down transformer. I use the formula that if the component compliance plate says that the unit uses *** Watts of power consumption I get a voltage matching transformer which exceeds that by a factor of 4. So, if the unit is Japanese 100Volts and consumes 50 Watts of power, going to the Australian voltage requirements I'd make sure that the step down transformer has the capacity of 200Watts. The same if it was going to be used in America on the 120 V circuit. In that case I'd still be getting a step down transformer which would provide 200 Watts of power.

The main purpose of the voltage matching transformer is voltage conversion. However it has to have a safe margin to satisfy the Wattage requirements. I feel that 4 fold is sufficient to cover the Wattage margin. Voltage is the Mains Power supply requirement. Wattage is the unit's own power consumption requirement. The two different elements need to be looked at in light of the specific requirements of the item being used. A 100V CD player will need a different Wattage step down transformer than a 100V 500Watt Power amplifier. 4 fold for the Wattage requirements allows for a generous margin of provision.

Is that comprehensible?

20. MannyE

Yep. I won't need (probably) all that much for the turntable. Even thought it's supposed to have one of the most powerful motors ever fitted. I doubt it would need anything like what a power amp would need, for instance.

I enquired shipping rates for a turntable like the GT-2000 and I'm waiting for a reply. Depending on the answer I will either buy or go for a new SL-1200. I can't imagine the performance of one vs the other can be that great.

Even with an SL, the system will be 66.6% Yamaha factoring in the CR2020 and the 690ii speakers.